Header question from a rookie, 99 Suburban 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
Ok so apparently I will be doing a head gasket swap shortly unless I discover a cracked cylinder in #5.

My stock manifolds look kinda lousy and I may find them near rusted through when I unbolt them. No leaks currently but I fear they won't seal up well after the head gasket swap.

In terms of simplest swap and affordability, with performance being "third place", what do you guys suggest?

Are there any that bolt right up without much modification to the existing system?

Do headers change the exhaust sound or offer any realistic gain if bolted to a stock exhaust?

Truck is a 2wd, otherwise unmodified except rear gear ratio swapped to 4.10s.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just went with the Summit shorties which are actually reboxed Pacesetters. They bolt up to a stock exhaust and are a simple install. Better than stock, not as much peak hp gain as LT but good enough for a daily driver/usage truck or suv. And if it's 4x4 no fitment issues.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just went with the Summit shorties which are actually reboxed Pacesetters. They bolt up to a stock exhaust and are a simple install. Better than stock, not as much peak hp gain as LT but good enough for a daily driver/usage truck or suv. And if it's 4x4 no fitment issues.
Best running shorties I found were BBKs I put on an Escalade that was cammed. Shorty headers won't make much in any of a difference if you still have the 1 7/8" pipes though.

Keigan Pettit

Reaction score
What was that pn#?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have summit shortys also. Been on my truck IDK 5 , 6 years. They are good for what you want. Easy install. Just had to relocate the oil dip stick tube. Oh and get some VHT header paint, follow the directions, then strip the OE paint, and repaint them before you install them. The summit paint does not hold up long at all. VHT will last. The bottom pic is an old pic, but the hearers still look the same.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g9014/overview/make/chevrolet
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Summit does sale stainless shorty headers, but IDK if they have it in there house brand or not. Just go to www.summitracing.com and type in your truck info

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The ones I was talking about are $200 shipped. The Summit shorties are reboxed Pacesetters at a cheaper price. I also stripped mine and coated with VHT.