Head options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What do y’all recommend for replacements heads, just took mine off due to a blown head gasket. Before I bother with getting them rebuilt, looking for recommendations. 96 K3500 with a 2.3L Whipple and a Vortec 454.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Which engine? How's the other side look?

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Which engine? How's the other side look?

Vortec 454. The other side looks pretty suspect according to my friend who is helping with this project.

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you going to put a can in it at the same time?

That should really wake it up. You'll need to figure out where you want it to make power the stock heads are good truck heads with low end torque.
Most aftermarket options will lower your compression ratio if you aren't careful with the combustion volume. I've seen someone on the forum flow test the correct heads but I don't remember the exact details.

Sorry I really haven't helped much with specifics.

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you going to put a can in it at the same time?

That should really wake it up. You'll need to figure out where you want it to make power the stock heads are good truck heads with low end torque.
Most aftermarket options will lower your compression ratio if you aren't careful with the combustion volume. I've seen someone on the forum flow test the correct heads but I don't remember the exact details.

Sorry I really haven't helped much with specifics.

I do have a Whipple so lower compression would allow more boost

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you want to race or tow? The application is an important part of selecting the proper parts for any build.

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you want to race or tow? The application is an important part of selecting the proper parts for any build.

Most likely street/race. I’ll be using this with my 2.3L Whipple. I have a new Ram 5500 for towing.