Head light switch and dimmer panel broken

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMT400 Guy 93

Reaction score
1993 K3500, has the dimmer and headlight buttons attached to the Whimpey bezel for the instrument cluster. There are four tiny screws that hold it in and of course all four broke off from the bezel. Anyone else dealt with this? Fix?

Thinking about 3d printing a mounting flange that I can just glue to the bezel.

The junkyard was not a success either. Couldn't find a clean one.

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Found a couple things when searching for "dimmer panel broken".

This looks like a pretty solid fix here.

You must be registered for see images attach

This thread (solution) here may require the mounting posts to still be there and just split or something like that.

Here is another thread with some creative solutions.

Maybe there are better fixes out there and someone else will steer you in that direction.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That last pic is from my repair using Devon Plastic Welder 2-part adhesive and cut drinking straws as forms to put it into.. that repair was very durable. Some asked if I drilled the adhesive or put the screws into it while still wet, yes, the latter. It sets up very quickly though so get 'em in there and let it set. You can remove the screws later if needed to replace the switch and the Devcon should hold up; it doesn't tend to get brittle.

Richard

FerrariGuy

Reaction score
Just thought I'd add to this. I designed up a replacement bracket in Fusion and had it 3D printed in Nylon with an MJF printer (though I'm sure FDM would work as well). The part requires that the fragile original post be cut off and ground flush, then the new bracket can be superglued in. The file is here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5833056