"HD Trailering Special Equip" option?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
my 92 K2500HD has listed on the OEM window sticker 4 options I'd like to ask what they mean:

1. HD Trailering Special Equip ($273 option) - what would have been installed on the truck with this option?
2. Auxilary battery ($134 option) - I see a wiring harness on the driver side inner fender, along with a battery mount. I'm guessing this would have been to provide 12v power to a truck bed camper. I'm also guessing if I don't have a camper, I could tap into this outlet to power a winch or trailer lights. Would appreciate any guidance on that if someone has done that before. Is there anything else this option would have had with it?
3. Off Road Package ($95 option) - other than a skid plate, what would this have entailed?
4. Heavy Duty Front Springs ($68 option) - I'm guessing this was for a "camper special", but hoping it will also benefit me trailering a heavy load when used with a weight distribution hitch.

Thanks for the help.
Rich
Maple Valley, WA

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
my 92 K2500HD has listed on the OEM window sticker 4 options I'd like to ask what they mean:

1. HD Trailering Special Equip ($273 option) - what would have been installed on the truck with this option?
2. Auxilary battery ($134 option) - I see a wiring harness on the driver side inner fender, along with a battery mount. I'm guessing this would have been to provide 12v power to a truck bed camper. I'm also guessing if I don't have a camper, I could tap into this outlet to power a winch or trailer lights. Would appreciate any guidance on that if someone has done that before. Is there anything else this option would have had with it?
3. Off Road Package ($95 option) - other than a skid plate, what would this have entailed?
4. Heavy Duty Front Springs ($68 option) - I'm guessing this was for a "camper special", but hoping it will also benefit me trailering a heavy load when used with a weight distribution hitch.

Thanks for the help.
Rich
Maple Valley, WA

1. I know of F44 which is heavy duty chassis and on the half tons, the oil cooler was optional and increased tow rating. Beyond that I'm not sure, curious to see what others have to say.

2. Aux battery was a 2nd battery. I believe it used a switched solenoid to divorce it from the first.

3. Likely the Z71 package which was stickers, skid plates, and Bilsteins.

4. I know there was a plow prep package available with heavier front bars, so that's probably what you have up there.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My K3500 SRW has Z82 and Z85 RPO codes..If I recall correctly. One of those is just a trailer hitch from the factory and maybe wiring. That's probably what you have.

I think the other RPO code is...darn, I can't remember now! LOL

Wasn't Z71 exclusive to the 1500s in these years?

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
My K3500 SRW has Z82 and Z85 RPO codes..If I recall correctly. One of those is just a trailer hitch from the factory and maybe wiring. That's probably what you have.

I think the other RPO code is...darn, I can't remember now! LOL

Wasn't Z71 exclusive to the 1500s in these years?
I believe that Z85 was something like “firm ride”

I remember a GMT800 probably 6 years back, can’t remember what year but it had Z82 trailering stickers with the design of the 99-01? Z71 decals (see below). Kinda basic truck by what I remember, cloth bench and maybe a 6.0

Attachments

• 4D03186C-A6B0-4E5E-87C2-F683F89F742E.jpeg
    4D03186C-A6B0-4E5E-87C2-F683F89F742E.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Your guy's response made me go look up my RPO Codes;

NZZ - Package, off-road, skid plate, sport (what does "sport" mean?)
F60 - Spring, heavy duty, front
FF8/FF9 - Arm, Tors Bar, Spring Adj (G & H)
TP2 - Battery, Auxiliary, Camper
UY7 - Trailer Wiring, 7 wire, 2 lead, front harness, 5 lead rear harness
VR4 - Trailer hitch (weight distributing platform)
V02 - Radiator, heavy duty, includes heavy duty transmission oil cooler
Z82 - Trailering Package, (Special)(Reese Type hitch)
6GL - Spring, Comptr Select, Frt LH
7GL - Spring, Comptr Select, Frt RH ... what do these last two mean when combined with the F60?

Thanks,
Rich

Last edited:

j66442

Reaction score
For the gm800 trucks, the heavy duty trailer option added a pigtail for wiring near the front of the boxed to let you plug your 5th wheel. I think you had to supply the connector, the wire bundle was zip tied to the frame.

gmupfitter.com has interesting stuff for the later models.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

From what i remember it was
Aux trans cooler
Hitch
7 pin plug
Possibly a power steering cooler.

if you have the auxiliary battery tray you should have the cables for a second battery/ My service truck had dual batteries. There was no camper package.

Z71 Off-Road suspension. Pretty sure it was just heavier duty torsion bar Rate
46mm twin-tube high-pressure gas-charged shocks
Skid Plate Package for front diff t case and gas tank
GM automatic locking rear differential GovLoc I think.
Available Z71 Appearance Package: 16 inch wheels body-color mirrors and door handles, body-color grille with chrome insert, and i think maybe Bilstein or Rancho® shocks cant remeber.

Thanks for the help.
Rich
Maple Valley, WA

Could of been their snow plow package springs. For the Ford Superduty it was v code springs. Im sure chevy had its own heavy version for snow plow prep packages.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
From what i remember it was
Aux trans cooler
Hitch
7 pin plug
Possibly a power steering cooler.

if you have the auxiliary battery tray you should have the cables for a second battery/ My service truck had dual batteries. There was no camper package.

Z71 Off-Road suspension. Pretty sure it was just heavier duty torsion bar Rate
46mm twin-tube high-pressure gas-charged shocks
Skid Plate Package for front diff t case and gas tank
GM automatic locking rear differential GovLoc I think.
Available Z71 Appearance Package: 16 inch wheels body-color mirrors and door handles, body-color grille with chrome insert, and i think maybe Bilstein or Rancho® shocks cant remeber.

Could of been their snow plow package springs. For the Ford Superduty it was v code springs. Im sure chevy had its own heavy version for snow plow prep packages.

My 1500 is a Z71 and came with a lame open diff. Z71 was stickers, skid plates for front diff and t case, and Bilstein shocks. I think you could get all but the stickers without the Z71 package, but don't quote me cuz I could be full of it.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your window sticker has those RPO codes and your glove box lid. There in that years service manual in first chapter basic descriptions.
You must be registered for see images attach