HD stuff ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dwragon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, this may have been discussed here before, but I couldn't find it. I have an 89 pace arrow rv. It has ten bolt HD suspension on it and I have an 8 bolt 94 K3500. Interchanging the disc brake rear axle is no problem except I lose park brake, but my truck is a 5 speed, so that doesn't matter to me. The main question is will putting the bolt on hubs on the rv damage the suspension on the 94, as I have read that the only GMT400's 4X4 HD suspension was made from older straight axle retrofits, possibly due to stresses on the torsion bars caused by putting the tires further out.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Huh? You have a 10 LUG rear axle RV? Why do you want to change it to a 8 lug axle from a K3500? Interchanging what to what? What is a 5 speed? The RV or the K3500?

You gotta be more specific...I "think" you are thinking of swapping the 10 lug axle from the RV to the K3500? Why?

dwragon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Huh? You have a 10 LUG rear axle RV? Why do you want to change it to a 8 lug axle from a K3500? Interchanging what to what? What is a 5 speed? The RV or the K3500?

You gotta be more specific...I "think" you are thinking of swapping the 10 lug axle from the RV to the K3500? Why?
yes, I want to put the rv rear end and hub adapters on my 94 K3500...

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an 89 pace arrow rv. It has ten bolt HD suspension on it and I have an 8 bolt 94 K3500. Interchanging the disc brake rear axle is no problem except I lose park brake,
1. How wide is the RV axle? How wide are the leaf spring mounts? How are the shock absorber mounts positioned? What axle manufacturer/model is this?

2. Losing the park brake IS a big deal. Doing that deliberately is crazy.

The main question is will putting the bolt on hubs on the rv damage the suspension on the 94, as I have read that the only GMT400's 4X4 HD suspension was made from older straight axle retrofits, possibly due to stresses on the torsion bars caused by putting the tires further out.
Photos? I'm having trouble visualizing what you're trying do do, and with what parts. "Hubs" shouldn't be a problem. Hub extensions might be.

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah you need to measure spring perch/frame width, axle width.. its probably not a bolt in swap. The gear ratio is probably not even close to what your front axle ratio is either.

plus the front axle on the camper is a straight axle with leaf springs, I highly doubt those hubs will swap over either.. but I could be wrong.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
yeah you need to measure spring perch/frame width, axle width.. its probably not a bolt in swap.
That

The gear ratio is probably not even close to what your front axle ratio is either.
That

plus the front axle on the camper is a straight axle with leaf springs, I highly doubt those hubs will swap over either.. but I could be wrong.
and that

I haven't heard the case for why this swap is desired? Sounds like the donor parts are intended to be used just because OP has 'em already.

Richard