HD headlight harness (by @5vortec7) install today!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichardSwinger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is probably the first time I finished a project on this truck in one shot. Like all projects with this thing, there were roadblocks but I was surprisingly able to get through them and get everything back together. Ordered the HD 4-Hi harness from @5vortec7 and it was surprisingly sturdy and well put together. The problems I had putting it in were 100% because of the cheap O'Reilly's headlight housings and having trouble taking them out and fixing them up to put back together again. I'm going to make a few separate posts with pictures and explanations to help this thread flow a bit better...

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

RichardSwinger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took the whole grille off for ease of access. Routed the harness and followed the stock wiring. I had a hard time disconnecting the stock wires from the lights but got them out without breaking anything eventually (in hindsight I should have just removed the light housings to begin with, more on that later). The passenger side outputs don't get used, so I packed them with dielectric grease, taped them up, and zip tied them for good measure.
You must be registered for see images attach

RichardSwinger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ceramic male ends of the new harness were super nice and sturdy buy VERY hard to plug in, it probably didn't help that I've got HIR1 and HIR2 bulbs. I didn't want to beat on the bulbs too bad so I decided to remove the whole light housing. That was the the hardest part of the whole job. The brass threads are just poorly press fit in there (and I probably torqued the two top pins in too tight) and they had pulled through making it extremely difficult to get the housings out. I eventually got the housings out without breaking anything, super glued the bottom rim, pressed them back in with channel locks and super glued the top rim. I used some aluminum anti-seize grease on the pin threads and threaded each one to keep the threads free of super glue. When I put the housings back in I didn't gronk down on them, just made them snug.

RichardSwinger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ground wire spot was easy: there was a ground wire to nowhere for the aux battery that I have wires for but didn't come with the truck when I bought it. Took off that ground wire and put the light harness ground in it's place. The aux battery tray makes a great spot to put the relay block as well. I've got it in there SUPER redneck with mini bungee cords but I was pressed for time and had to leave for work soon. If I ever decide to put the aux battery in, the open space below the ECU is a great option, but for now I like having easy access to the relay block. I'll probably screw the block into the battery tray and ditch the bungee cords... Maybe. But probably not. I call this truck Mad Max for a reason.

RichardSwinger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
First picture is low beams. Second is the 4-Hi Low+Hi beams. It's absolutely bonkers. This is the darkest part of my drive to/from work in backwoods middle of nowhere Midlands of South Carolina. With the HIR bulbs and the harness with the 4-Hi I've now got no need for a light bar. Extremely happy I sent some random dude from the forums my money. I know there are other options to get the 4-hi to work, but what Brian puts together is really nice, really easy to install, and I've got full confidence in the quality and design of his wiring.