Have to blip throttle to shift into 4 hi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am still getting to know this truck, as this is my first winter driving it. I have the lever 4wd shifter on the floor. If I just pull the lever back (at any speed above 5 mph), it won't go all of the way back into 4 hi unless I give the truck a bit of throttle. 4 lo works and shifts fine (stopped in N), and everything seems to work the same as any other truck that I've had, except the 2 hi to 4 hi shift.

Is that normal?

Fortrex

Reaction score
Is the truck auto or standard? In my previous autos usually it went into 4hi without any issue, occasionally I would have to blip the throttle to get into 4 hi. In my manual, I almost always have to push the clutch in to get it to go into 4 hi while driving, haven't tried blipping the throttle.

Fortrex

Reaction score
If the fluid is at the correct level and everything else seems to work okay I wouldn't be worried about it, seems like normal operation. Not sure how hard you're pulling on the shifter but my 6 gmt400s have all needed a good jerk to get up into 4hi, it doesn't shift easily like a manual trans shifter

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I am still getting to know this truck, as this is my first winter driving it. I have the lever 4wd shifter on the floor. If I just pull the lever back (at any speed above 5 mph), it won't go all of the way back into 4 hi unless I give the truck a bit of throttle. 4 lo works and shifts fine (stopped in N), and everything seems to work the same as any other truck that I've had, except the 2 hi to 4 hi shift.

Is that normal?

Do you know what transfercase you have? I don't have any trouble getting onto 4-hi, but I have a Borg Warner transfercase and not the New Process that most guys have.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Last time I checked mine... pulling in and out of 4hi worked great... sometimes blipping the throttle will get the actuator to do it’s thing quicker and the 4wd light will illuminate.

4lo, if I remember correctly, should have the transmission in neutral and rolling at like 2-3 mph (very slow). Then, you shoot the transfer case from 2 hi all the way into 4 lo and then pull the transmission back into drive.

Last edited:

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you know what transfercase you have? I don't have any trouble getting onto 4-hi, but I have a Borg Warner transfercase and not the New Process that most guys have.

I think it is the NP241. I am probably not pulling hard enough on the lever. Having broken so much stuff over the years, I try to be gentle haha.