Have $2,500 how to spend advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casey916

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes my names Casey I have a 98 chevy c1500 regular cab short bed 4.3L 5speed manual.. And want to make the trucks run alot beter the engine just hit 200k and the owner before me didn't take to good of care iv released alot of parts on the enleady and slowly eats oil but slowly.. Any one have any advice how to spend the 2500 on the engine and what. Ever is left on cosmetic products for it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes my names Casey I have a 98 chevy c1500 regular cab short bed 4.3L 5speed manual.. And want to make the trucks run alot beter the engine just hit 200k and the owner before me didn't take to good of care iv released alot of parts on the enleady and slowly eats oil but slowly.. Any one have any advice how to spend the 2500 on the engine and what. Ever is left on cosmetic products for it.

Based on the photo, it looks like a pretty sharp truck. It's always a plus fixing mechanical issues on something that doesn't need a ton of cosmetic surgery also. I would fix the oil leak if it won't eat up your funds. Since it was a neglected truck, I'd change all of the fluids and filters. Check the front end and replace anything it might need. Check the brakes, plugs wires, etc. How the HVAC? If you have access to a scan tool, check any codes it may have. I love those little 4.3 vortecs. They're terrific engineers.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's your goal for the truck? Performance? Show? Cruiser? Identify where you want to be, then figure out how to use your budget to get there.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Around here motors are $225+core at the pull and pay. I think that'd be step 1 for me.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Based on the photo, it looks like a pretty sharp truck. It's always a plus fixing mechanical issues on something that doesn't need a ton of cosmetic surgery also. I would fix the oil leak if it won't eat up your funds. Since it was a neglected truck, I'd change all of the fluids and filters. Check the front end and replace anything it might need. Check the brakes, plugs wires, etc. How the HVAC? If you have access to a scan tool, check any codes it may have. I love those little 4.3 vortecs. They're terrific engineers.

This is really good advice. if the motor runs decently, put that off for a while and concentrate an fixing anything that needs fixing followed closely by replacing anything that is reaching its end of life wear point. Tie rods, pitman arm, condition of power steering, wipers, any leaks, gaskets etc. You can get a LOT done for a grand and have a much more solid truck. How are the tires? Any dry rot? Shocks?

Concentrate on making it as much "as new" as possible. Unless you have an overwhelming need for a hot rod do the preservation stuff first. Good luck and send more pictures !

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
This is really good advice. if the motor runs decently, put that off for a while and concentrate an fixing anything that needs fixing followed closely by replacing anything that is reaching its end of life wear point. Tie rods, pitman arm, condition of power steering, wipers, any leaks, gaskets etc. You can get a LOT done for a grand and have a much more solid truck. How are the tires? Any dry rot? Shocks?

Concentrate on making it as much "as new" as possible. Unless you have an overwhelming need for a hot rod do the preservation stuff first. Good luck and send more pictures !

Don't taint his mind with such sage advice!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please read your post once before hitting the "Post" button. We're a lot quicker to respond when we understand what you're asking.

If you're fine with the V6 and the motor's leaking oil, I'd fix that instead of an engine swap.

If the engine is running like crap, it's likely NOT the engine, but rather all the attached bits, and a new engine will have the same problems. Good diagnosis is a must.

If you want to do crazy hot-rod stuff, the end goal is a must. I love bench-race engine building, but you really can't start without an end goal or you end up with mismatched parts and a dog of an engine.