hard to shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truehorse98

Reaction score
98 k1500, got it with a busted column shifter, was just shifting it by push / pull the rod till I found a new one. Got installed, and the shifter seems way too stiff to me. Its not the btsi as i unhooked it and no change. Stiff in all gears no just coming out of park. Column shifted great prior to hook up. Open to ideas T.I.A

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On 1995-up, the shift mechanism on the column operates a cable that runs underneath the driver's side carpet which in turn connects to the shift lever coming out of the side of the transmission. With wheels chocked/parking brake set, disconnect the cable at each end and operate the shifter on the column, and shift lever coming out of the transmission. If these move freely then check the cable. It's your most likely suspect. Several have found the cable sheath damaged underneath the carpet causing issues with shifting. Fairly easy replacement.

Richard

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, if your transmission ground is missing, does it ground through the shifter cable? I know that's a #1 reason for throttle cables getting stuck.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, if your transmission ground is missing, does it ground through the shifter cable? I know that's a #1 reason for throttle cables getting stuck.
I'd have to say no, not on a GMT400. In older vehicles this was somewhat of a common issue. On 400's the trans grounds through the engine block ground which can't be missing or you wouldn't be able to run the starter. And, the ends of the cable are plastic, insulating the cable itself electrically.

Richard