Handling difference with mud tire and 18”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, I should’ve mentioned that. I don’t know what width the rims are (they aren’t GM rims) but the tires stick out probably 1-1.5” more than stock. I don’t like them at all.

Nothing is obviously binding when watching from underneath and everything was torqued to spec.

Well that's about how far mine stick out and it does make a small difference. Also, even if everything it torqued and not binding and clunking there might still be some slop in the parts, plus having the wheels out of alignment means they are fighting each other as you try to drive so that would make sense.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don’t have a printout of what they did, but is some toe out correct? Left side looks to be further out.

Not sure how well you can tell by photos, but here it is...

You must be registered for see images attach

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The nature and construction of the tyre has an effect - irrespective of size. I've just changed from street to AT tyres (not particularly aggressive tread pattern) and my steering is nothing like as sweet as it was before.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you think this might be a possibility with this truck try unplugging that sensor. If nothing changes, there's a good chance the sensor is dead IMO.

Unplugged the EVO at the pump connection. No change in driving behavior. Guess that could be either the inside sensor or the control valve at the pump.

I did replace the rag joint this afternoon as the original was pretty loose. That actually helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Unplugged the EVO at the pump connection. No change in driving behavior. Guess that could be either the inside sensor or the control valve at the pump.

I did replace the rag joint this afternoon as the original was pretty loose. That actually helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to clarify, I've never tried unplugging the EVO at the pump so I'm not sure if that creates the same situation as unplugging the column sensor. Someone else may have more input on that.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It looks like the EVO module uses vehicle speed to adjust the control valve at the pump. No signal looks to equate to no power steering effort reduction - full boost as you mentioned - which should have happened by disconnecting the connector at the solenoid.

Per the manual, the steering column sensor is used for adjusting flow during sudden “defensive” steering wheel movement.

Best guess is that my not noticing any change means that either the module isn’t sending a signal or the control valve isn’t doing anything. The module can supposedly throw a C-code if it sees an error. Guess I’ll see if any are stored.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The module can supposedly throw a C-code if it sees an error. Guess I’ll see if any are stored.

I'd be interested to see what you find on this, I haven't tried using my Tech 2 to retrieve any diagnostic info about the EVO.

My guess is still that the column sensor has failed. I have no idea why but my trucks burn through them.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Per the manual, the steering column sensor is used for adjusting flow during sudden “defensive” steering wheel movement.

The upshot of that in driving I think is that the steering is quite heavy at speed around the straight ahead position and small slow steering adjustments can be awkward (what others call 'twitchy' I think). But, when the wheel is turned quickly and decisively to aim at an apex the heaviness disappears and it feels like it should with a reasonable amount of assistance.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd be interested to see what you find on this, I haven't tried using my Tech 2 to retrieve any diagnostic info about the EVO.

My guess is still that the column sensor has failed. I have no idea why but my trucks burn through them.

The only DTC was a history code (C0495) which is pretty much an open between the solenoid and the EVO/Passlock module. Likely, it was a result of my driving it around disconnected. I cleared it, will see if it pops up again.

Until my son puts gas in it, that might be a while. It’s on fumes.

bhopthewelder

Reaction score
The only DTC was a history code (C0495) which is pretty much an open between the solenoid and the EVO/Passlock module. Likely, it was a result of my driving it around disconnected. I cleared it, will see if it pops up again.

Until my son puts gas in it, that might be a while. It’s on fumes.
You can bypass the whole stupid variable power assist crap with a piece of tubing that is made to replace the dumb thing. That's what I did and it worked great on my old lady's 97 suburban. Simpler, and IMO safer.