GVWR SRW vs DRW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking for GVWR numbers for a dually truck, cannot seem to find them anywhere. Found the SRW numbers but dually is escaping me. Any help is appreciated -

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What year? Assuming it's a late GMT400: It's 9200# for the SRW. I think the DRW was 10,000#.

Edit: there were a few other variations such as the Cab and Chassis options that were slightly higher than those, but assuming you are asking about the regular pickups.

Last edited:

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Let's say 96-00, I am in the market for a 3500 cclb and attempting to determine if it's worth shopping for a dually. Want the option to get a slide in truck camper down the road. Not a big modern monstrosity but an older say 8' one.

Is that right, there's really only an 800lb difference?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Let's say 96-00, I am in the market for a 3500 cclb and attempting to determine if it's worth shopping for a dually. Want the option to get a slide in truck camper down the road. Not a big modern monstrosity but an older say 8' one.

Is that right, there's really only an 800lb difference?
Yes, correct. Um, I really don't know about campers, but I would think you would want a dually. Those campers are heavy and really large, so the dually is a good option for stability.

I've got a K3500 CCLB SRW with the 5.7. I think the payload is around 3200-3400#. I really can't remember what that yellow tag on the glove box says for the camper weight, or how that relates to payload. I think it's around 2500#? Somewhere around that number.

The 3500-series had 4.10s standard, regardless of engine choice or if SRW vs DRW. Optional was 4.56s.

The SRW have standard 6 leaf spring pack, while the DRW have the same 6 leaf pack with an overload spring(s) (the type that engages against brackets on the frame only when you add enough weight.) 800# doesn't seem like a lot, but it is.

@Supercharged111 runs a camper on his truck. He may give you some really good advice.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
10,000 GVWR for the dually, yes. But it will handle quite a bit more comfortably. My truck feels like it should have been rated to 12k I'm terms of brakes and suspension when you add bags. I believe the sticker in the glove box states something of a 2500# camper limit, but that can be ignored.

Last edited:

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea the duallies are definitely stronger than SRW trucks; would recommend if going for a slide in camper. Much more stable than the SRW. I think that the 10000# GVW was chosen partly because of registration/insurance concerns that come into play beyond 10000.

Rock Hard Concrete

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The duallys ride really nice and the chassis will handle up to 15k bumper pull but the brakes are not up to the task unless you have 0 hills to pull. If you have steep hills pulling more than 10k is dangerous.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The duallys ride really nice and the chassis will handle up to 15k bumper pull but the brakes are not up to the task unless you have 0 hills to pull. If you have steep hills pulling more than 10k is dangerous.

Maybe with stock crap, but aftermarket pads and shoes make a huge difference in braking power and heat resistance.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
after much deliberation went with a SRW truck, found the right one. unlikely I'll need dually status any time in the imaginable future..