gstubbz's trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
Weekend in progress update!

I managed to find a parts car three hours away, a 2006 Jetta TDI 1.9L (BRM) DSG auto that I was able to score cheaply, and ended up also getting a nice set of winter tires on rims which was great. Traveled three hours south one way to go get it in Seeley Lake, MT. The air down there has a super odd smell to it too! Car for the most part drives fine but definitely has a bad injector or a few so I'll swap those out from the other engine for now with the plan to order reman ones with bigger nozzles in the future. Bummer this car is getting cut up as it's pretty clean but it's also an automatic and I really wanted a manual. Lots of good parts for sure and I plan on swapping the entire front clip and trunk lid over.

You must be registered for see images attach

Somehow the blown up engine was still able to run long enough for me to pull it into the shop after turning it around outside and going back and forth a lot to get it into it's temporary resting home! So crazy. I spent yesterday and today pulling the blown up engine out of the red car which honestly wasn't too bad minus the chunks of missing skin on my hands and all of the cuts. The CV axles use some goofy metric socket similar to a torx bit but with many more teeth, and none of the local auto parts stores had any kits or anything in stock so I had to order some off amazon because when I go to do any internal engine work I know that I'll need them. I managed to get by removing the cv bolts with vise grips and an allen key but I won't do that when I take apart the parts car.

Here's the carnage, blew up the second connecting rod and it broke a massive chunk of the oil pan off and trashed the block on both sides! I've blown up a few things and this has been my most impressive yet.

Time to order some more parts like gaskets and timing belts, etc so I'm hoping to have it all dialed in and driving within the next two weeks. Then to work out the kinks and maybe start some performance mods.

gstubbz

Reaction score
That sounds like what happened to me this weekend! My boss's family has ranch property in south Texas, and when one of them gets a new truck, their old truck goes to the ranch and the old ranch truck gets sold cheap. Someone must've got a new truck, because he wanted to know if we were interested in another vehicle.
It's a 2001 F150 King Ranch supercrew, not a bad looker but it does have some issues. Needs a tune up probably, has an occasional misfire on 2 cylinders that threw a code. 4wd doesn't work, but it may just be the switch....and the right front window doesn't work. But the big problem right now is that the ac blew cool but not cold when we got it Friday. Had a shop put some freon in it-- didn't need a lot-- and we had "Cool Ranch". Then, got stuck in a stupid traffic jam on the way home. Shut ac off cause the temp gauge was getting into dangerous territory (3 o'clock in the afternoon, Houston, Texas in August on the freeway, ya think?). Turned it back on once we got home (2 hours to go less than 3 miles) and it's back to barely cool air. I've been told it may be the orifice tube but we'll see. I want to put leak check in it first and go from there. Other than that it's a decent daily driver, and it has more ground clearance than the Burb so better for rain and more intimidating in traffic. I'm going to take pix and post in daily truck pictures soon. It's just so damn hot I just want to stay inside now LOL....
It's nice to see everyone's trucks, cars and other stuff on here, and see how we all go about fixing things.....Sometimes it's really reassuring to know that you're not the only ones dealing with a screwed up car or truck!

Is it a 5.4? I actually haven't personally messed around with those a lot. I'm sure that interior must be pretty nice being all leather!! Post some pics of it for sure! I've had my hot temp gauge worries in traffic before and the last time I had something concern me enough to stop and check it was when the t-stat on my Dodge wasn't working like 2-3 years ago in the middle of the summer after I drove to Reno, NV to pick up an Apple Power Mac G5 Quad for my old apple PowerPC computer projects (shocking that I actually just remembered that day!).

I agree it's nice to see everyone's projects no matter what it is, gives some variety! I'm a huge offender of not posting gmt400 stuff anymore since I've ventured into other things, I actually wanted a car for a while and a TDI MK5 jetta with a manual trans was kind of what I was after and now that's what I have!!

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
Is it a 5.4? I actually haven't personally messed around with those a lot. I'm sure that interior must be pretty nice being all leather!! Post some pics of it for sure! I've had my hot temp gauge worries in traffic before and the last time I had something concern me enough to stop and check it was when the t-stat on my Dodge wasn't working like 2-3 years ago in the middle of the summer after I drove to Reno, NV to pick up an Apple Power Mac G5 Quad for my old apple PowerPC computer projects (shocking that I actually just remembered that day!).

I agree it's nice to see everyone's projects no matter what it is, gives some variety! I'm a huge offender of not posting gmt400 stuff anymore since I've ventured into other things, I actually wanted a car for a while and a TDI MK5 jetta with a manual trans was kind of what I was after and now that's what I have!!
Can’t hate on that, I’ve had a few non GMT400 projects myself, and read a bunch of the “other vehicle” build threads on here

gstubbz

Reaction score
Shoot every once in a while I have spurs where I want to come on here and update my thread.

Jetta update:

I have had the engine swap between the two done for a while, and even with my driving I am able to maintain 32/33mpg out of it which is amazing for my standards. There for a bit (Sep/October) I was daily driving it to work and it has actually been decent. I had a hiccup where the drivers side cv axle bolts would back out and that left it on the side of the road twice. I lent it out to friends (which was dumb, after that time never again do I want anyone driving my stuff) and had to tow it home. I fixed it, and took it on a trip down to Kalispell and on the way home it did the same thing, leaving me stranded and I had to wait for a coworker to bring me a floor jack so I could doctor it just to get home, and it's been sitting since although I drive it to the shop and house back and forth a lot.

I bought all new bolts to hopefully fix it permanently, but I haven't needed the car or had motivation to mess with it so it's sat since thanksgiving week.

Still on the fence if I should finish swapping body panels and keeping it, or selling it as I no longer drive it although the 30+mpg was amazing. If I still had the white truck honestly I probably would be driving the Jetta a lot more, but my new purchase pushed that away.

Silverado truck update:

This is something that I actually didn't expect to happen, and due to the result it's cost me a **** ton of money.

My coworker (who keep in mind is 62) had actually wanted my 07 for a while as it was a longbed, 3/4 ton, newer, more power, set up to tow, etc over his 99 Silverado ECSB 5.3/4l60 truck (which he still has but never drives it anymore). Back in September he asked me what I wanted for it and I think at the time I said $5500 because of the new tires and I didn't think he was really serious.

Well sometime between Sep/Oct I decide to drive the truck to work on a Friday since I was dailying the jetta at this time, and I absolutely cream a deer at 70mph this morning. It pushed the bumper back a tiny bit and crunched the drivers fender up a good amount. I still go into town and to the gas station before work, and my coworker (Dan) who wanted the truck was the first person I saw that morning as he actually took the day off to go to Kalispell for doctor appointments or something and I felt bad because his potential future truck I just smashed a deer with.

It didn't phase him and he didn't care about the fender at all, however due to me feeling bad over the thing I told him I'd take $4500 for it.

So over the next three weeks I was constantly searching all around the area for a truck, and my criteria was that it had to be a crew cab and no more extended cab. I carry people around enough that the ex cab was nice for when you needed to in a pinch, but I wanted something more comfortable for everyone. My next criteria was that it had to be an upgrade in some form from the 07 I currently had, so that meant no vortec 6.0s unless I was able to find a gmt900 truck that I liked enough. Next was that if it was a GMT800, it had to be either a 03+ 8.1 truck or a 04.5-07 duramax (I didn't want an LB7). Turns out it's just flat out hard to find 03+ 8.1 trucks, and I could not find one in a close enough radius that was a crew cab, although I was able to find a few 01/02 8.1 trucks. As far as beds go, I preferred a short bed but I was not opposed to another long bed.

I had my eye on a 05 CCLB 2500hd LLY dmax truck with 250k for 12K from a dealer in Idaho and this was actually the top of my list, however I inquired about it multiple times with no response from the dealer, so I decided not to pursue it although I was trying to the entire time during my search. Granted it was clean, and it was white (kinda didn't want another white truck though), but it was also a base model with hand crank windows on all four doors but I was going to be okay with it due to how clean and unmolested the truck looked.

I did more hunting, and actually had a few different trucks lined up, all were LLY/LBZ trucks except for one that was a 2014 CCSB 1500 that had the 6.5" bed which I was highly considering but didn't make it that far.

So on October 26, I came across this blue ming metallic, CCSB 05 LLY duramax truck with 289k on the clock. LT trim, leather interior, all the options minus the sunroof and the truck looked really clean outside of some paint peel and a "whiskey dent" as the seller called it on the drivers door that looks like it was from a small tree that fell on it.

They were a auto dealer, but mainly was a junkyard in Missoula, MT that had a dealers license. I went to look at the truck on the next day (Oct 27) and took a "sick" day from work to do so and I actually got bitched at over it by management over my whole "instant gratification" and "I want it now otherwise I'll change my mind in 3 seconds" (ironically now I have a management position, assistant project manager) but it didn't stop me. I actually came into work for a second to grab the $4500 check from my coworker for the 07 that morning too.

Took the Jetta down with a friend, truck checked out everything seemed really good, all the interior electrics worked, the only thing I was not enjoying was the fact the drivers door made wind noise from that dent and the back door speakers weren't working. But I bought it anyway for $9,000 so at least selling the 07 paid for half of it up front.

I was told when I bought it, it was a trade in at the local ford dealer not running so the junkyard bought it and ditched the stupid cat filter that was on it and changed things like the ficm to get it to run and it seemed solid from there.

Truck already had newer aftermarket 17" raceline wheels, 4" straight pipe, egr delete, boost auto parts mirrors, and crappy HID headlights which absolutely sucked on the trip home, but I enjoyed every second of that exhaust.

Then the problems start. I had only put 1200 miles or so on it and then the dreaded "low coolant" message. Was hoping it was a fluke but did add 1qt to it and over time it would go through that in a period of 200 miles. Prior to this whole ordeal I did tow with it and it did great and never skipped a beat. Talked to a good friend Joe who has a LLY and has had to do a lot to his and then I had a fairly good suspicion of the head gaskets.

Well that's what it was. The radiator was also leaking coolant and I was hopeful it was just this causing my issues but I am 100% positive now that it was the extra pressure in the coolant system that caused the radiator to leak.

I spent a week doing the head gaskets on this truck including getting the cylinder heads milled down when the jetta left me stranded so that was when I was upset with it. My goal was to drive it to Oregon on Thanksgiving day but that was stopped when I lost the fuel filter housing bleeder screw and could not find it at 1am thanksgiving day so I ended up not going on my trip and got my truck running later on thanksgiving day.

On another note, I do get to see my former trucks at work on a daily basis.

I've fixed a lot of other stupid stuff with the truck and now it's at a point where it's starting to be ironed out, a bad wheel bearing ate my other set of tires really fast so I actually have some new 265/70/17 Kelly Safari TSR tires in the shop I will get mounted to the raceline wheels this week at some point.

My big recent ooof with the truck was on my way home from a friends house on Christmas Eve I was being dumb on ice and slammed into a tree on the way home and crunched the truck bed on the drivers side really bad. So I'm lowkey on the hunt for a bed this color or buying a new flatbed for it (running usually $3000-3500 installed for what I want). I'm over the dent now but I wasn't happy about it for a while. But for the two months I had it I actually was extremely careful about how I loaded the bed trying my best not to dent or scratch it. Now that doesn't matter anymore lol

So there's the story on the duramax, of course that's just a quick summary. I daily it to work with no issues and I do love the truck so much so that I paid the $320 for permanent registration tags. I think I may just always keep this one around and in the future buy something new as a "nice" vehicle although really I should have just used the same 9k I spent on this truck up front all on a down for something off the lot new.

-------------

Another post following with other side projects and another vehicle purchase in addition to this duramax I should have probably not made (as the duramax wasn't enough of a money punishment as is)

gstubbz

Reaction score
So other recent projects at the Stubbs Shop:

Another co-worker (Leo) has two dodge durangos and wants to take the good transmission from the rusty one (5.2L V8) and put it into the good durango (purple) that has a 5.9L magnum V8.

Hauled both to my shop and yanked out the engine/trans combo from the grey one yesterday and I actually get to keep the 318 as part of the deal. No real reason, but it did run really good.

Fit in Leo's f150 today so I could replace some u-joints on it for him. That job actually went extremely smooth they didn't fight me at all.

Then pulled the purple durango in this afternoon and I plan to have the transmission out of it tomorrow and the other one back in during some point this week. Durangos suck to work on. I don't want to touch another one of these or a dakota ever in the future. To pull the engine and trans out in one shot you have to remove the front diff.

I'm planning on once this project is over I will bring in the Jetta and spend a day or two with that fixing it up and dialing it in again.

--------

Now for my other purchase. I bought this 1993 K1500 GMC Suburban from Leo today for $850 (granted this is what I owe him after we factored in the numbers for me doing the trans job for him, u-joints, and hauling the durangos to my shop) which he will drive here and exchange it for the purple durango when it's ready.

This suburban sounds like it needs an engine as it is burning oil like crazy from cylinder #1, although when I have it I plan to run a compression check and then pull the cylinder heads and see if maybe it has a burnt valve or bad valve stem seals. If that's the case I'll probably just fix whatever the issue is in the cylinder head, but if it doesn't have good compression then maybe I'll do a mild rebuild to get it going.

The other thing that makes it a decent deal was that he actually just had the transmission rebuilt within the last 5,000 miles but he is just sick of this thing as it has just been one thing after another for him. I look forward to it as it's a project for me, and it's my first SUV purchase ever (ironically).

Of course I could have big plans to LS swap it or make it into an overland rig, or just remove the third row seat and put an air mattress back there, but I think for my best interest it would make a good vehicle to flip and make some money from it. These suburbans just seem kind of bland and plain to me. For an overland vehicle the gmt800 surburban would be my ideal platform to start with. Although I still like the idea of camping using it so maybe I'll keep it for a few months and try it out. That's what's cool about my gig right now is I can hop between so many vehicles and find what I do and don't like.

My do like 110% is that duramax. That's the only one out of my stable right now I will not get rid of, but if anything I do know that is a $10,000 bill and will continue to be for a while. Everything else I own really doesn't have a whole lot of value to it.

So who knows what will be the fate of this one, but I am still excited about it nonetheless. I really want to paint it desert tan or something and lift it a bit, but it's a hard thought. What do you all think? I secretly have been wanting a 2 door Tahoe/Yukon/Blazer for about 2 weeks and this is the closest I've been to that opportunity.

Craigslist photos, he had it on there for a week then I told him today I wanted it so we worked out our deal, here are the CL photos I'll take better ones when it's at my shop. Brown interior, 3.73s, 350 tbi, 4L60e. The color is bland though. Maybe a cut and buff will make it prettier, it seems so dull to me!

-------------------------

So that's all up until this point. Bye bye 2020, I was able to mess with many vehicles last year that I otherwise would have not been able to if I was still in California, and I look forward to what 2021 will be able to bring me (hopefully nothing bad lol)

gstubbz

Reaction score
I can relate on the 6.0 GMT800, I had one, and loved driving it, but the gas mileage was total trash

Truck made decent power too and it wasn't that bad, however filling it up to drive 210-300ish miles depending on the driving situation sucked. Especially filling up a 34 gallon tank.

The duramax on the other hand I can drive the same distance and I have to fill up a 26 gallon tank instead so at least for now usually it's $40-50 every fillup which is great!

However I'm still back and forth with that, the maintenance I put into the duramax is also 4x as expensive. I wouldn't mind another 6.0 around as a beater though!

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Happy new year man, glad to hear your doing good. Been a while, you still got the ram? Dmax looks pretty good, coworkers has one that he loves. Looks alot better working in that shop compared to Susanville

gstubbz

Reaction score
Happy new year man, glad to hear your doing good. Been a while, you still got the ram? Dmax looks pretty good, coworkers has one that he loves. Looks alot better working in that shop compared to Susanville

Thank you Cody! I still do actually, it just continues to sit and one of these days I'll finally want to tinker with it. I'd love it a lot more with a manual swap, or a 12v and a manual swap. It just gets to sit until I decide to mess with it. The transfer case also needs to be looked at too before I drive it. Looking back it's sat for over a year now! I've tried to get it to run but it just throws a injector fault issue so I just gave up on it. Needs a ton more in addition to that as well.

Love the shop, needs more love if I were to do anything long term. If it was my property I would go all out insulating it and making it nice, but just hard for me to justify that money when I may move somewhere else and not stay here forever!