gstubbz's trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You should have grabbed that green Z71 bed from the scrap yard and saved it for a future project or sell it for profit. Looks mint

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
I have a ton I could talk about but I slack and don't say things for months at a time on here it seems like!

I haven't said anything about what I'm doing for a job now, and that is running all kinds of farm equipment and learning a ton about agriculture. I found something I really like doing and it's been awesome, my boss is great and we get along well. Seems like every day I'm running some different piece of equipment between seeding, ripping fields, discing, running the seed cleaner, etc. I won't bore you all with ag talk but I'm probably going to finish college here and go to Chico State for a degree in something ag related. Here are some photos from the past few months doing this that I personally liked:

You must be registered for see images attach

Also! I bought new tires for my Dodge. In previous photos you saw my truck with stock 2016 ram 2500 18" wheels which I did not like, and I got around to buying a new set of tires. $1212 for the set on ebay and Joe and I mounted them at his house. I also put a 3" leveling kit in which IMO is barely too tall and the truck does have a slight cali lean to it. I decided on Kelly Safari TSR 315/70/17s. Reason being is first I had a set on my old 98 which I only owned on there for a few short months before the truck was totaled, second is I like how they look, and third they are actually made by Goodyear, which the TSR is very similar to the Duratracs that I ran on my dodge previously (which lasted almost 40k). That and when I bought the duratracs two years ago they did not come in even a 285 tire size that I wanted.

Side note - jumping from 285s to 315s made a HUGE difference in fuel economy and the way the truck shifts and speed. The hemi is still a rocket for what it is but I will not buy another set of 35s unless I do something like regear from 3.73s to 4.10s

So Chevy stuff!!

I tried selling/trading the green army truck for something else. At this point in time I had my fun with the truck and things didn't work out about it being all good and street legal back in Spring of 2017, and I almost had it traded for a 2001 Suburban with a 5.3 which IMO was a good trade for my side of things - but I couldn't find the title when I was getting ready to haul the truck to him so that killed the deal unfortunately. At this point I'm probably just going to part it or something. I want something street legal being attached to the dirt all the time sucks because I want to take the truck out to places where I can't go without touching pavement or hauling it on a trailer. And there is more to why I'm over this truck and want to move on...

I kind of want a street truck. Like street legal fun truck. I've said this for well over two years at this point and maybe things are starting to line up to pull this off.

Q&D truck is getting an LS.

Came across a deal on the FB Marketplace for this takeout from a 2002 Tahoe that had FlexFuel (important because it's a DBW setup rather than DBC) that I just had to get. I was pondering taking the 6.5 from the HD and dropping it into Q&D but all I want to do is go fast. This LM7 is all torn apart ready for me to start building. I actually almost ended up with an 8.1 from a 2005 silverado the day prior but missed out on the CL ad by literally half an hour. Was pretty bummed about that then this LS popped up.

Far as building this 5.3?

Probably for now I'll do rings, bearings for sure, maybe a LS9 head gasket and arp head studs, then possibly other stuff like a cam, injectors, and other little dinky things. I'm doing my share of research to see what I can do with how much money I can budget for this build outside of everything else I have going on. My future goal is to put a turbo on it and turn grandpa's truck into a fast sleeper looking work truck. I'm committed now that I have the engine, looking back I probably shouldn't have even bought the thing because it's just going to make me spend more money but hey I guess I have to work on these things somehow!

For the transmission I am sticking with the NV4500. Yes I could go 4L80e/700r4/TH400 but really I like shifting gears and although it will take away from the speed factor I want something fun to drive so the manual is staying. I think if everything goes through and I still have this thing in a few years maybe I will t56 swap it to make it more car like but for now I start with what I have!

For the HD stuff. The crew cab and my cummins engine - I still need to get out of Chester.

For the 94 reg cab HD, all I've done since the last update was tear off half of the bed. I have more to chop and have silently been searching CL for a HD NV4500 so when the time comes I'll work on this project!

But that's it for updates as of this moment - at least for things that are major. I'll be getting back into truck stuff now that I have that LS!

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will green not pass smog to become road legal? I forget if u had that done or back fees on it. Although might be good to have one less project
You'll definitely need a regear on blue
I spotted another c1500 race truck that'll give you some motivation.
I've been seeing more HDs rolling around here lately, we have abt 3 that go to the shop next door and they're all mobile mechs for semis and more of them parting out.

jdla140

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you get the TAC module and everything with the 5.3? Those 99-02 DBC throttle body's don't get along well with anything but the correct TAC. My SD has the same goofy setup.

gstubbz

Reaction score
Will green not pass smog to become road legal? I forget if u had that done or back fees on it. Although might be good to have one less project
You'll definitely need a regear on blue
I spotted another c1500 race truck that'll give you some motivation.
I've been seeing more HDs rolling around here lately, we have abt 3 that go to the shop next door and they're all mobile mechs for semis and more of them parting out.

My dumbass lost the title so now I can't do anything really at this point, and it was parcially in the process to register in CA, and also I don't think it so it would actually smog without a lot of work. I'll probably rip the powertrain out and put it in the HD which I'll get to in my next post :)

I still want a racetruck but I'm up in the air about that at the moment too. As far as HD stuff goes, I might pick up a different one a friend is going to buy shortly which is more complete and already has a flatbed but we will see!

Did you get the TAC module and everything with the 5.3? Those 99-02 DBC throttle body's don't get along well with anything but the correct TAC. My SD has the same goofy setup.

I have the separate box thingy for the pedal as well, the only part I don't have is the separate little wiring harness that goes between the two. So I guess I can either find that piece or go through some extra work and do a DBC setup. I'm still up in the air about everything!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

gstubbz

Reaction score
I still haven't done much with truck stuff but because I'm indecisive and change my plans all the time, I'm considering making the Q&D truck back into a 6.5 by taking the engine from the HD and stuffing it in, then yanking the 350/sm465 from the army truck and stuffing it into the Cone truck and running a 241c pass drop case and 8 lug square body axles, move the axle up, and put my 8ft flatbed on it for a lifted work truck setup. Then I could get an ebrake and all the stuff associated with that.

I dunno but I change plans all the time.

However! I did replace the heater core in my dodge this evening, the original lasted 193k before starting to really puke everywhere. We were all chilling and not really rushing and the heater core replacement took less than four hours. Pulling the dash was not bad at all, just time consuming. Only thing I'm bummed about is losing the $110 worth of ac refrigerant that I had put into it a year ago after the engine build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gstubbz

Reaction score
Well it's been a bit guys but I am still alive. I ended up moving to a town called Oakdale down in central California, and to be honest things have been rough for me in terms of life. At least they have been lately.

Anyway, no GMT400 updates really, it's all about the dodge and since this is about my trucks this is more than appropriate in my opinion! So I moved at the beginning of December, and up until a few days ago I put 3,200 miles on the dodge in that same period of time. However, it also burned 8 gallons of oil in that same period of time. On new years eve it started to miss at idle so I knew something was up. What happened I wasn't expecting at all.

So I ended up buying a new engine for the truck on ebay because I figured at this point the rings in my engine were gone, and I found this reman engine for $2600 delivered to my workplace through LTL freight. I jumped on this one in particular because it seemed like everyone wanted $400-600 as a core charge and this engine didn't have a core charge at all.

When I finally had the engine in my posession here in Cali it decided to rain and I had to move fast to cover it up and actually didn't even look at my engine for like 4 days until the storm passed in fear of getting water in my new engine.

Things hit the wall with my new (now ex) girlfriend, so I said **** it I'll just pull the engine out now because I was waiting until she bought her new 95 k1500 in a few weeks before I tackled this job so we could still see each other and hang out, yada yada. However since things went sour with that, I decided now is the time to do the new engine swap. Keep in mind I was still driving the truck to work daily and it would continue to eat oil but I was holding out as long as possible.

So January 23 I decided to start the removal at 196,995 miles. My roommate has a 92 k2500 RCLB 6.5/4l80 that I've been using to get to work, and I'll make a separate post about this at some point in the future because I actually really do like this truck and it's nice to drive a gmt400 for a moment and my urge to fix the c2500 is real. This truck has an hx35 and it is really fun to drive! Not a rocket but fun.

Today (Sunday the 27th) I had the engine out by this point and pulled the head. I pulled the spark plug the other day not knowing what to expect minus the fact it was caked with oil. I thought 110% it would be the rings in a cylinder.

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Yup! I burned a hole straight through the #1 exhaust valve. This was due to my dumbass running a cutout in my exhaust 99% of the time and not tuning the fuel tables to compensate for the extra flow. I'm eating it at this point and I definitely learned my lesson. This was probably 15-20k of miles that were anything from driving daily to hauling trailers and being loud and obnoxious.

So here is my truck as it sits, I have a few more parts to get in the mail but I should be driving it hopefully in a week or less just taking my time with it. At this point I'm married to the truck so I might as well make it what I want. 2005 pcm swap is definitely on my list of wants.

--

When I'm in a **** mood I like to type (girls getting to my head), so that's the reason for this update out of the blue. Now that I have more free time I'll have to catch up on the build threads I've missed :)

My plan actually prior to this Dodge fiasco was to make a trip up to susanville one weekend and fix the c2500 and bring it back down but now I'm probably looking at summer before I have the chance to. I need a better commuter and this hemi isn't that!

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well **** ur alive man. I just came through susanville the other week and was wondering what u were up to. Sounds like ur having a bit of bad luck but hopefully that'll change.

gstubbz

Reaction score
Well **** ur alive man. I just came through susanville the other week and was wondering what u were up to. Sounds like ur having a bit of bad luck but hopefully that'll change.

I'm here! Too bad I missed you I would have and stopped and talked to you if I were still up there! My luck lately has been terrible, 2019 is off to a bad start but what can you do. It's crazy. Life's crazy I'm learning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro