gstubbz's trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
So did u already have the meeting with the recruiter over here? Yea throw a flatbed on the cone truck

Yeah I did, I have some testing down in Sac on the 6th. It is definitely getting one!!

--------------

Side note, I have other friends still calling me and telling me I'm ballsy af for doing what I did, and I like hearing that lol

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see those cone trucks all the time, mainly cuz we do alot of drop offs at cal trans over here, usually have abt 6 or 7 sitting around collecting dust.
Congrats man. Anything particular your wanting to do in the force?

gstubbz

Reaction score
Are they all GMT400s or like 2011+ F550s? Up here there is one or two 3500HDs Caltrans still uses, but neither are cone trucks. I want to work on vehicles but the recruiter wants me working on jets lol

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They've got all, when I head up there next ill grab some pics.
Must be needing jet mechanics, I'm sure once your in for a little bit you'll love it. Better then pushing papers, no offense to anyone.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's ur cone truck, plus a totaled truck sitting in the lot.

You must be registered for see images attach

gstubbz

Reaction score
Dang! That Ranger is thrashed. I see that the #carrfire is smokey in the photos you took! It's smokey up here where I'm at from that fire too. Guess the smoke didn't want to head towards the coast this time!

And that picture of the cone truck is interesting, it's a 97+ truck but what throws me off is it's Caltrans number is 129,947 where my 94 is 136,461. I am also interested if the truck was completely orange and then they painted the cab white? I'm unsure. From my research sometime in 2002 they decided on white with the orange strip, so that HD could also be a 2002 model. I see that truck being on the auction block soon, I'm jealous of it since its much cleaner than my HD. Here's a pic with them and you can see somewhat of a resemblance.

So yesterday I hauled copper to a scrapyard in Sparks, NV with a coworker and his half ton hemi, it worked out to my benefit as we left the scrapyard at 7am loaded up and I was off work at 10am, in which case I decided to play with trucks on my way back from Sparks.

But a side note, this guy came in with this 1996 GMC C7500 topkick with a CAT 3126 and a manual trans. I talked to him for a few minutes and he was super cool. He made a wild assumption that we were from Susanville based on our Cali plates, and sure enough he was right! As much as I love the 3500HDs - I would love to own a Topkick/Kodiak and maybe I will in the future (since I said the same thing about owning a 3500HD and I now own two).

Since I got off early, I decided to work on trucks. I wanted to do things with the HD first, so I took things off of my old 93 c1500 that was totaled. The dome light in the HD is just a single bulb that is turned on when the door is opened or the dimmer switch is rotated to the on position, so I decided to take the dome light with the individual lights out of the 93 and install it into the HD. Pretty much a bolt in affair, you do need to drill two new holes but the screws used to hold in the light are already self tappers so it is not a problem. It's an easy 5 minute job and you gain more lighting!

Next was a rear view mirror. The HD did not have one at all, so I took one out of the 95 K1500 parts truck and installed it. Simple! And now I have a mirror because I do not like driving a vehicle without them, although driving box trucks has helped me with using the side mirrors significantly.

The trim piece around the gauge cluster was also missing, so I took the one from the 93 out and put it into this truck as well.

And the dash was also half disassembled so I started piecing it back together.

Since the rubber floorboard was cut up and torn in the HD, I pulled the brown carpet from my 94 c2500 parts truck and washed it, it has now been air drying for a few days so hopefully this weekend I can install it into the truck.

Also I tried to start it and failed, oh well!

Then regarding my 94 K2500 6.5, I installed the headlight harness and got it all working since mice destroyed the wiring (as you can see in the pictures). I then took photos of the truck as it sits and listed it for sale so it may sell, I hope! I kind of want it out of my life and would rather have cash.

And for the final update, I'm going to look at this 94 c2500 RCLB 6.5/nv4500 (yes, yet another 94 6.5) for $500 with supposedly a blown turbo on Sunday. If I end up with this it will be a parts truck for the HD since I need body panels and other little 6.5 specific stuff. The nv4500 is worth the $500 alone! I don't know what it is with me and 1994 6.5 trucks because it seems like I end up with more of those than anything else!!

So don't worry, I have more weekend updates to come, that's just what I have so far! I was asked what my deal is with 3500HDs, and it's simple. I like them. A lot!! I feel @someotherguy was the same, started messing with normal GMT400s then realizing the 3500HD trucks are beef and they are what you truly want. I am learning this prior to my 21st birthday, I feel accomplished!

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh love them 3500HD trucks to bad they never came in 4x4 .
They're out there as you may already know. Aftermarket conversions by several companies were made. A little tough to find but they exist.

As far as me choosing an HD, I'd long admired them having used them as wreckers. I was going to build my shop wrecker using a regular C3500 dually that was beat to hell, but then I found a buildable HD and my plans changed - what was going to be my wrecker then became an engine and other parts donor. :D

Richard