Ground straps/wiring question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

s98gmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a 91 GMC that's been swapped to a 98 Vortec 350. I bought it with the conversion completed and I have a couple questions. The first is I removed the ground straps from the passenger side head to frame and the frame to firewall to clean the mating surfaces. At the same time I'm replacing the straps with larger gauge versions. The local Napa doesn't have a strap long enough for the engine to frame strap, so I'm still looking for a suitable upgrade if anyone has a suggestion. It's about 21 inches in length.

My second question is I noticed there's a bracket on the wiring harness running below the A/C accumulator that's not fastened to anything. This is the harness that has the plugs for the accumulator and MAF. It terminates where it passes through the firewall. Where should this bracket be mounted? I didn't think to take pictures. I'd go to the junkyard and look at another truck, but it's really icy right now. Over the two years I've owned this truck I've found other fasteners that were left out during the swap.

Thanks for any help.

You must be registered for see images attach

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure about the harness, I may look for you tomorrow if nobody else chimes in. As far as the ground strap, why not just stop by an audio shop and grab some 4ga or 0ga wire? They should be able to terminate it for you as long as you know what size eyelet you need.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to say mine (98) pushes onto a stud that comes through the firewall from the a/c housing (evaporator, heater core, etc.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can buy different widths of ground strap on eBay or Amazon, along with the lugs crimp them on them . If it were me, I'd just pick up a few feet, or however much you need, of cheaper 1/0 CCA, some braided wire loom, and some lugs and make your own out of cable. Grind down the area where they go, and put some sealant around the lugs after you've bolted them down. This should effectively make them element-proof, or as close to it as possible. Ground straps have no insulation, that's why on any vehicle driven in areas that get actual winters have corroded ground straps.

Just my $0.02

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can buy different widths of ground strap on eBay or Amazon, along with the lugs crimp them on them . If it were me, I'd just pick up a few feet, or however much you need, of cheaper 1/0 CCA, some braided wire loom, and some lugs and make your own out of cable. Grind down the area where they go, and put some sealant around the lugs after you've bolted them down. This should effectively make them element-proof, or as close to it as possible. Ground straps have no insulation, that's why on any vehicle driven in areas that get actual winters have corroded ground straps.

Just my $0.02
Agreed, mine are actually in decent shape which is confusing because it came from Utah, and was registered in Montana before I got it. The electrical system on the inside had some issues, but the ground straps have zero corrosion. Only external ground I had to clean up was the one for the fuel pump. Weird.

s98gmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. My straps are in decent shape as well. For that matter, there's little corrosion on my truck at all. I don't believe it's ever seen snow and I keep it garaged through the winter. But the grounds still had some light corrosion and were dirty. I figured while I have the straps off I'll upgrade them at the same time. I did order a 24" strap from Jegs for the engine to frame. It should be here in a few days and it's similar in length.

s98gmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took a couple pictures of the bracket. I assume it goes on that stud above the heater hoses.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On mine (98) it’s higher up, by the line to the accumulator.

You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

s98gmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the pictures. I'll have to check, but I may not have one on my firewall in that location.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I relocated a couple of grounds to make the run shorter in a couple of places. I'm probably running more power to accessories than you are, so stock locations may work for you, but don't be afraid to put it where it works for you, just make sure you make good contact, and the previous advice of covering with something is solid advice. I tinker every now and then so I'll usually just slap some grease on it, but if it's permanent you can silicone it to make it cleaner. Mine will never be a show truck, so grease doesn't bother me in the slightest.