Greetings to all!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheJackal

Reaction score
Greetings fellow grease monkeys and gear heads!

I have been a big fan of diesels since I first started working on tractor/trailers with my dad back in 2008. After years of owning/driving only gas trucks/cars, I finally decided to get a diesel of my own. I looked high and low at all the options, and the one I settled for based on my criteria was the 6.5L GM. Even though it has known issues with the fuel injection system, and some more concerning flaws with the crankshaft and the engine block, it is still one of the most efficient and significant diesels of its time, and still a prominent example of superior fuel efficiency in diesels today! I love its simplistic design, it's ease of maintenance, abundance of parts, and of course... the distinctive sound! I could identify this engine solely on its sound no doubt. To me, it sounds sloppy, sluggish, clacky and broken in... sounds like a mechanical dream!

I purchased my 1995 GMC Suburban back in July of 2021, and I had to do some work on it before I was satisfied. The man I bought it off of pointed out to me that he took a 1500 Suburban body and put it on a 2500 chassis back in 99 after the old chassis was damaged in an accident. With that upgrade came a 4L80E transmission and the upgraded suspension of course. Supposedly the 6.5 was already in the 1500. But the man did a great job. Everything was professionally done, and I am super satisfied with my first diesel truck purchase. So far, I've only had to replace the lift pump, install the Leroy Diesel WTS FP relay, and replace brake lines (I will never do this alone again). The truck has been pretty reliable aside from the FP randomly dying without warning and leaving me stranded. Chalk it up to the age I reckon.

It now has 267k miles on the engine, it was partially rebuilt at 239k (rings, seals, bearings, etc). I am really hoping to get the most mileage out of this engine and wondering if it is possible to squeeze 500k+ out of it. I don't do any towing or heavy hauling, it is a daily for me. Most I do is haul brush and trash, and furniture now and then. It is my new baby since my 2nd Gen RAM has rusted into oblivion.

Thanks for having me onboard! I hope to learn as much as I can about this engine to make it last. So far it has been worth the trouble, because it has definitely exceeded my expectations on fuel mileage, not to mention the OBS Suburbans are beasts! Nothing quite like a good old fashioned American Land Barge. :)
You must be registered for see images attach

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Welcome!

I've never had a 6.5 or 6.2 but from what I understand you are treating it the way it was designed... daily driving with light loads focused of fuel economy rather than hauling heavy loads and abusing it. I'm sure others will step in with more experience but it sounds like you got a good deal on a well taken care of burb! Congrats on your new toy!