Greetings from the PNW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I should clarify, my emergency brake light on the dash stays on.

Thamks

Probably a bad switch on the E brake pedal or a short to ground in the wire from that switch. My old Dodge van has that problem and I even know where the short is. Thus far a piece of tape over the light has passed four inspections. I just take care to make sure the parking brake is off.

Phipplet

Reaction score
Okay, I’ve searched the forums and can’t find an answer to my particular problem.
For the longest time my ABS “brake” light was on, no cruise control and my speedometer is reading high by about 35mph off.

I replaced the brake switch and installed it correctly. This made the ABS light go away. I replaced the speed sensor on the tranny. I still have no cruise control and the speedometer is still reading high. Any thoughts? I’m baffled.

Garage Hack

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will be interested to know as well. My emergency brake light dims but does not go out completely when I release the E brake. Not sure if this is a related issue but found this thread while searching for similar problems.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will be interested to know as well. My emergency brake light dims but does not go out completely when I release the E brake. Not sure if this is a related issue but found this thread while searching for similar problems.

Check the switch at the back of the pedal. When engaged, it closes. You might have some gunk up in there or it’s barely bent and keeping contact.

Disengaged:

You must be registered for see images attach

Engaged:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garage Hack

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the switch at the back of the pedal. When engaged, it closes. You might have some gunk up in there or it’s barely bent and keeping contact.

Disengaged:

Engaged:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for that, I will check.

Phipplet

Reaction score
I recently replaced the DRAC Module, still having the speedometer issues and no cruise control. I located a used complete manual gauge cluster on eBay. When it arrives I’ll switch them out. Hopefully this will solve the issues. I also ordered a new cruise control lever.

Last edited:

JONSTE

Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

I'm obviously new to the forum, but not to working on and restoring vehicles. My story is kinda interesting.

About five or six years ago I was attending the Portland Interenational Raceway Swapmeet. My buddies and I have a couple of booths there. This particular year, one if my booth buddies brought a truck to sell for his friend. It was a one owner 1992 1500 4x4., Completely stock. All the receipts and any and everything done to it. It was near perfect, except for the 274k miles on the 4.3 / 5 speed. It ran Great! I didn't think anything about it at the time, but the grill, bumpers, tow hooks and side mirrors were painted black. The truck is white and all decals and stickers had been removed. I figured the PO painted everything black to cover up the chrome for selling purposes.

I bought the truck on the cheap as a farm / work truck. I still drive it to the hardware store and occasionally the dump. I've put 278k on it. I've only recharged the AC.

Fast forward to the present. I got a new to me GMC Sierra. My wife wants me to sell the old beast. So I was looking at prices, options and other stuff to see what it's worth. I figured $1500 bucks or best offer. As I started to look for the same year truck with my options, I was coming up with very limited searches and values. I then stumbled across this website forum. And this post about mouldings and the Sport model pickup.;

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/body-molding.39914/page-3

I was now looking for the fabled "BYP" build designation code on the data sticker in the glovebox. To my disappointment. The data sticker was pretty much just a white, empty sticker. The years of things moving across cleaned every code off. What was I to do? My truck had apparently every option that the Sport model does, but I had no way to confirm if it was a "BYP" build option.

Then I remembered the same data codes are stamped on the firewall. I popped the hood, and this is what I found...
So here's what's going on in my pickup. The brake light stays on, my cruise control doesn't work and my speedometer reads way too high! If I'm going 25mph it's reading 60 +. I ordered a new speed sensor. Anything is you guys can think of? Thanks.
OP, I have a 92K1500 Sport i just picked up for WAY more than that. I only have 99,000 original miles and the origional owner upgraded to the 5.7 and manual trans with 4x4. but in shopping around for Standard cab K1500 trucks here on the east coast the prices were $6,000 -$20,000 depending on shape and miles. junkers were going for $4,000 - $5,000 in running condition but rust buckets and in need of major TLC.

Rich Johns

Reaction score
I own four 1992 Chevy Sport 4x4 trucks one Black, one Red and two White, the only 3 colors offered.
385, 1992 Chevy Sport 4x4's were built in final year of production (1989 -1992) with unique one year only smaller 4x4 sport decal treatment, the earlier 1989-1991 had the large Chevy Sport 4x4 decals.
Of the 385 built in 1992 about 200 were Black ,115 Red and 75 were White.
I reproduced the unique 1992 Chevy Sport decal with cooperation with VDS Decal.
Go to my website to see my Black 1992 Chevy Sport under partial restorations tab
www.purestockauto.com
I have almost completed a restoration on my Red 1992 Chevy Sport 4x4 which is a 350 TBI 5 speed, GT4 3.73, Z71 truck with Red buckets seats console interior.