Green95Hoes LQ4 with NV4500 Conversion. Jam packed with info.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fellow Ma$$hole here who is going to be doing an LS swap in my 98 2 door 4x4 this spring. Looking back on this swap you did and knowing now how much these swaps have advanced, what would you do different if you did this swap again?

My biggest issue is deciding which direction I want to go in with the wiring side of things. Some say to repin the stock harness and use a 411 PCM and then I see thread where guys have stand along harnesses made or they modified a GEN 3 harness. Im in Westport Mass which is down near FallRiver, Not sure how far you are from me but I would love to check out your truck as well as Mikes shop.

Brad

Green95Hoe

Rollin in tha big hoe
Reaction score
To be completely honest, after I did this swap, I pretty much never needed to divulge into the swap threads again unless someone asked me a question. I would probably do it exactly the same if I did it again. The only thing I would have changed is to order the LS downspouts for the exhaust so that my exhaust guy could have done it quicker and cheaper. (He had to make custom flanges). Seeing that I have a manual trans, it eliminated many of the challenges others have. I would still buy a prefab harness. As much as I know I could handle doing custom wiring, it would be incredibly frustrating trying to diagnose why it wont start because one wire was spliced wrong. Of course I had a TBI system so I had to do a complete computer swap anyway. I never had to dig into the specifics of the newer PCMs. You are welcome to come see mine. I'm just a quick buzz up 24 right where it meets 495.

Steveman2000

Reaction score
Got any suggestions for somebody running the 4L60e? I know you've got the manual but money's tight and I'm curious what I should or shouldn't do. I'm also thinking LQ9, as somebody near by me is selling one for around $800 with intake, manifolds, pcm and harness. Let me know what else I'm missing at the moment... thanks in advance :D

chaingun427

Reaction score
Well looks like i'm going to be jumping onto the LS bandwagon as well. I've almost completed my NV4500 swap (from a 2000, motor and transmission together) which was originally inspired by your rig. I've got several yards locally with 5.3's and 6.0's so the swap is a no brainer compared to wasting as much or more on an older tech engine.

Tons of good info here, i believe as well that a stock 6.0 flywheel will work on an 01 or newer motor have you read anything to that effect?

95SUBURBANLM7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Green, hell of a post regarding this swap. Ive actually have pretty much the same vehicle as you. I swapped an NV4500 into my Suburban about four years ago. Well a couple of months ago the 5.7 seized up and I decided to go the route of an LS swap. Anyway I finally took the 5.7 out yesterday and am getting ready to put the LM7 in this week. The only thing that is stopping me is the trucks original wiring harness. What should be done with it? What did you do with it? I want it to look as clean as possible, so I'm willing to open up the harness and unplug and remove all the unneeded plugs/wires (TBI injectors, distributor, alternator, 4L60E, etc.). What else is removed and what is kept?

I appreciate any help.

Nick

Aruba1

Reaction score
This thread certainly has been the best documented swap I have read on the internet. Thank you so much for documenting the swap. What MPG are you seeing after the swap?

Reaction score
So the dirty dingo mounts go back up to a half an inch, why are people saying you need the full inch back mounts to keep your stock transmission placement? you installed the NV already, so what modifications did you do get that bad boy in there? I'm about to order the dirt dingo and the full inch back set and just send whatever back that I dont need.

Z71SE

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great thread. Anyone know if the NBS LQ9 manifolds and ypipe will work?

Kyle89

10-17-22 sober date
Reaction score
Wow I feel like an idiot:banghead::Angry::lazer:I been trying to figure this out for a minute and you got the information I need.... the dingo offset brackets since I'm using a first gen nv4500(low first ex slave route d top) I won't have to cut or notch anything to clear? And I may have over looked it what oil pan did you use