Got a simple Towing question? look here!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sweetk30

c3500-HD
Reaction score
I have a 98 c2500, is there a quick connect for a brake controller under the dash?
i just wired in a brake controler on my c3500hd gmt400 truck .

found this pic online for the brake wire trigger pin to hook up stupid easy . a flat blade female on the wire end and it pops on at a 45* in the plug hole on the right side pin . been towing all with with it and works great .

i did have to run my own wires for the rest of it . but some trucks come with trailer package and just need hooked up some dont and we need to add it all .

You must be registered for see images attach

Ruff Idol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone know the stock bolt size for the trailer hitch? Like a dummy I threw all mine in the scrap pile when I removed my hitch for rust removal. I wanna say the ones there were M14 thread.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ok - sounds about right - there were 6 of them correct? And 2 had some weird square nut on there. Not sure I'm going to recreate that.

6 for a short bed, 2 of them thread into the bumper mounts. I don't recall what the other 4 thread into. My long bed again has a Super Hitch which uses 5 per side and is not the same as stock so I'll be even less help there.

Ruff Idol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
6 for a short bed, 2 of them thread into the bumper mounts. I don't recall what the other 4 thread into. My long bed again has a Super Hitch which uses 5 per side and is not the same as stock so I'll be even less help there.
Heavy duty stuff! I think I'm good to run to the hardware store. Grade 8, 1/2" or so diameter. Washers just to be safe. Thanks for the help

Ruff Idol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update 1/23/22: The two I mentioned that had the weird "square nut" on them indeed are the bumper mounts you are referencing. It turns out those were square capture nuts that are supposed to be welded to the bumper support but mine were so rusted that they just broke free with the bolts, haha! I am going to replace with a nut and lock-washer, and probably add some Loctite.

If anyone experienced the same, I would recommend a replacement M12 bolt that is metric grade 8.8 or better, and around 1-1/2" long. 1/2" coarse thread grade 8 could probably work too.

Last edited:

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 1992-1993 Ext/cab half tons have pulled cars being stock but my truck did go down some now my bro’s 2004 HD truck doesn’t even go down with I carried I know it a HD truck but letting some know here that it can be down my Manuel 5 speed did better power wise of course ok guys be cool.