Got a simple Towing question? look here!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
So you want to pull a trailer.. or equip your vehicle to tow better. well ive compiled a list of towing info that you might want to take a look at!

Upgrades you can do to your vehicle if you tow often:

-ENGINE:
-fresh oil and filter never hurts
-make sure your coolant is good
-make sure your air filter is clean
-pcm tune (for 96+)
-computer chip (95 and older)
-dont mess with it! This is probably the most important thing! If you start throwing parts at it to make more power, other things will start wearing out faster (ie: transmissions, rear ends, clutches, etc).

-TRANSMISSION:
-The best thing you can do for your tow rig is make sure your transmissiom fluid is clean.
-auxiliary transmission cooler
-transmissiom temp gauge
-deep finned aluminum pan.

-REAR END:
-once again, flush and fill fluid
-heavier spring pack (all gmt400 spring packs interchange)
-air bag helpers
-timbrens.

Tips, tricks, and information.

-According to your owners manual, trailer brakes are recommended for trailers in excess of 1000lbs regardless of your year/make/model.
-make sure your hitch is rated for what you are towing! I doubt anyone has a class 1 or 2 hitch so well skip those.

-WITHOUT WD HITCH
Class III- 600lb tounge weight
6000lb gross trailer
Class IV- 1000lb tounge weight
10000lb gross trailer
Class V- 1200lb tounge weight
12000lb gross trailer
-WITH WD HITCH
Class III- 1000lb tounge weight
10000lb gross trailer
Class IV- 1400lb tounge weight
14000lb gross trailer
Class V- 1700lb tounge weight
17000lb gross trailer

-You only want 10-15% of your trailers weight on your hitch. More or less can cause trailer sway.
-Cross your saftey chains! In the event your trailer comes unhooked it will drop onto the chains and minimize the damage to you, your vehicle, and the trailer!
-Check your tire psi often! Properly inflated tires will run cooler and save gas!
-Every time you stop do a quick walk around to inspect everything and check your straps/ chains
-Most trailer manufacturers recommend the wheel bearings be packed annually.
-THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU CAN DO WHILE TOWING IS USE COMMON SENSE!!!

I am not responsible for any of your doing!

edit: still working on the "How much can i tow" question. If you have the 88-95 ratings from the owners manual send me a pm.

BerHntr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice, it's surprising how many people I see who can't properly load a trailer. especially riding 4 wheelers, can't tell you how many times I've seen 20 ft heavy utility trailer with a 1600 ish pound side by side pulled all the way up to the front rails....drives me nuts! And then they drive off with the headlight shining to the sky