Good vid on 8 lug hub replacement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahhh yes, so mine did have that seal. When did you replace? RockAuto had NOS Timken awhile back on Closeout for like $42.00 apiece.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahhh yes, so mine did have that seal. When did you replace? RockAuto had NOS Timken awhile back on Closeout for like $42.00 apiece.

You're killing me with that price. Did those have the ABS tone wheel?

I replaced the hubs around July 2021 (last summer, that is). The Timken p/n I bought from RA was SP550307.

They were pictured with seals on RA's site, but had none when received. They had the same p/n on them (laser etched?) as my OE hubs (also Timken) which did have the seals.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Check first thing that the socket will fit through the hole in the old hubs, so as to reach the bolt head. I seem to remember that being an issue for me.

8-lug hubs have the bolts going in from the backside of the knuckle. I use a good socket and a long SnapOn breaker bar. I admit I was not the first person to remove those bolts, Though. I had a shop do the brakes once before I got to them myself. I've always coated the new or wire wheeled bolts in with plenty of anti-seize when I put them back.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're killing me with that price. Did those have the ABS tone wheel?

I replaced the hubs around July 2021 (last summer, that is). The Timken p/n I bought from RA was SP550307.

They were pictured with seals on RA's site, but had none when received. They had the same p/n on them (laser etched?) as my OE hubs (also Timken) which did have the seals.
Yes ABS included. I started a thread on it back then.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone has been into mine before also.
The ABS wire was at some point cut and spliced back together and where the splice is there is no way they could have done it without taking it apart. Why they would put messed up old bolts back in is just stupid.
It does fit right in though with the neglect and shady hidden messed up stuff i have found sense i got this truck.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The left front hub of my 8-bolt K2500 was nearly impossible to get the bolts out. Heads rounded-off; I was one step away from welding nuts to them when I got them to spin using a 9/16 socket on what were 15mm bolt heads.

The right front hub of the same vehicle--about a year later--had all four bolts spin out so nicely that I re-used 'em.

Go figure. At this point, I'm giving credit to God and the extra-short Snap-On 1/2-drive 15mm swivel socket I bought after fighting the first hub.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve never tried these, but wonder if they’d be worth having around.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Better video
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve never tried these, but wonder if they’d be worth having around.

It seems to be based on some sort of cam action which, while possibly gripping tenaciously, also puts a lot of stress on the outer wall of the "socket".

I'm sure we've all used a non-impact socket on an impact wrench and cracked the wall / split the socket.

I dunno, what do others think? I've never used one, but wouldn't expect it to stand up to a stout breaker bar and less-so a good impact wrench. Might be handy if the bolt was otherwise not too hard to remove, except for having a badly deformed head.

It seems to have that "As seen on TV" sheen to it.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Go figure. At this point, I'm giving credit to God and the extra-short Snap-On 1/2-drive 15mm swivel socket I bought after fighting the first hub.

Why do you need a swivel socket? I'm pretty sure I've not removed the cv shaft beforehand.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems to be based on some sort of cam action which, while possibly gripping tenaciously, also puts a lot of stress on the outer wall of the "socket".

I'm sure we've all used a non-impact socket on an impact wrench and cracked the wall / split the socket.

I dunno, what do others think? I've never used one, but wouldn't expect it to stand up to a stout breaker bar and less-so a good impact wrench. Might be handy if the bolt was otherwise not too hard to remove, except for having a badly deformed head.

It seems to have that "As seen on TV" sheen to it.
Definitely got a gimmicky feel to it. A lot of stuff like that only works once too. Probably wouldn’t buy. Was curious if anyone had tried them.