Good vid on 8 lug hub replacement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True but he did have what looked like 4 good bolts. I'll be doing this battle next weekend. Reason why i was looking at vids.
I already know at least 1 of mine is rounded off.

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
True but he did have what looked like 4 good bolts. I'll be doing this battle next weekend. Reason why i was looking at vids.
I already know at least 1 of mine is rounded off.
I had this issue, unfortunately. The solution was just to take the entire knuckle off with the hub/rotor, then weld a large nut onto what was left of the head of the bolt then try an impact. The weld broke twice but 3rd time was the charm. Good luck with the project.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He makes it look easy.

Strange how he didn't show the removal of the four bolts that hold the hub to the steering knuckle.

I had to heat the driver's side knuckle with a oxy/ace torch to get mine loose (6-bolt hubs on my Sub, which have three bolts), and then pound an undersized socket onto what was left of the head of one of the bolts to remove it. The other two weren't so fussy.

Here in IL the driver's side gets more salt exposure in the winter.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i bought a 9/16 impact socket to pound on it. Read a few posts here and there that said it's how to do it when they are rounded off.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i bought a 9/16 impact socket to pound on it. Read a few posts here and there that said it's how to do it when they are rounded off.

Check first thing that the socket will fit through the hole in the old hubs, so as to reach the bolt head. I seem to remember that being an issue for me.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After all that, there’s only one word…..Timken.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edit
After all that, there’s only one word…..Timken.

I thought so, too, and I installed Timken (from RockAuto)... but I later noticed they didn't have SEALS on them in exactly the same places as the OE Timken hubs.

See my original post, here:

It kinda pi$$ed me off... my OE Timken hubs had seals on them that must have been there for a reason.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edit

I thought so, too, and I installed Timken... but I later noticed they didn't have SEALS on them in exactly the same places as the OE Timken hubs.

See my original post, here:

It kinda pi$$ed me off... my OE Timken hubs had seals on them that must have been there for a reason.
They don’t sell separately? Haven’t checked your thread yet. Glad I recently installed NOS Timken assemblies.
Edit: Here
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: