Good ready to install vortec heads?+cam recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya he flowed original vortecs, 305 vortecs, and the OTC Mexican vortecs GM still sells. Basically the OTC ones flow the least, therefore get used original ones and have them checked out or buy aftermarket aluminum ones.
Funny thing 10+ years ago after flowing a set of the Mexican ones and getting piss poor results I was told I was wrong. Also had decent results from the 305 Vortec heads.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya I've seen similar results before so it was not a surprise, also RHS Vortecs flowed better than GMs if you can find them.

thatclappedsilverado

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That sounds perfect for me, where do you recommend I buy the vortec heads?
I don’t have much experience with the z28 springs. Really would recommend beehive style springs and if they are that’s great. But if your running regular springs rated for .550 be prepared to do machine work and the pushrod length depends on what type of lifter and if you are putting guide plates and studs in. If it’s a mild cam under .480 lift with flat tapper lifters you can re use the stock pushrods from the tbi if you use roller rockers from a vortec you need the vortec pushrods. I’ve re used the same set of push rods for 2 different engines and had no issues or abnormal wear.

Slade88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Easy good setup is vortec heads(ls behive springs/787-16 retainers and stock locks with a comp 280h cam. If the engine is in good shape you have a 375hp engine that makes good tq as well. Make sure you use a phenolic carb spacer. Keeps the heat out of the carb and use a Holley or something else unless your familiar with edelbrock. It’s a learning curve with them. Good setup though I’ve got a 270h and it still pulls quite well.
Getting ready to buy vortex’s and a 270 H tomorrow. Before I do could you go a little more in depth on how your truck feels and drives?

thatclappedsilverado

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getting ready to buy vortex’s and a 270 H tomorrow. Before I do could you go a little more in depth on how your truck feels and drives?
not sure if this is still relevent or not but the truck ran pretty good for what it was. 9.25:1 350 with mild upgrades. It had plenty of passing power with 33s and 3.73 gears. Loved 6500rpm but it eventually spun a bearing. Now the truck has a forged bottom end 355 10.5:1 with afr 195cc heads and a xe274 with 1.6 rockers. Never dynoed but should make some where in the low 400s at the crank