Good deal or pass?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m not sure if this is the right place or not to post this. I have come across a 98 GMC C1500 WT. It has a 4.3 with 300,000 miles and a rebuilt 4L60E. The asking price is $500. I think this is a good deal but I want some second opinions. There’s no rust except for surface rust on the frame. It has a mysterious (to me and the owner) flooding issue sometimes when you go to start it. Sometimes it won’t start at all. It’ll crank all day long but no fire. New cap, plugs, wires, and MAP sensor. Any suggestions? It also has a slight miss in OD on cylinder 6.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Unfortunately, "rebuilt" isn't a unilateral term. Without being able to drive it, you'll have no real idea about how good or dead that trans is. Assume that engine is dead too, unless the dude who owns it was the original owner or has a documented service history. You could also peer into the throttle body. If it's all dirty and oily, stick a fork in it. You could also pull a spark plug although they're probably fuel fouled. I'd bet the engine has compression issues, hence the miss. Coolant in the oil? Oil in the coolant?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
$500?! How can you go wrong, LOL. I mean, a decent set of tires alone are that much nowadays. What are your plans for it? I've got a '99 4.3 GMT800 that I've had since '07.

I've got the no-start when rain/damp. Mine has 260,000 but unfortunately has low oil pressure and I have just retired it from daily driving it due to both of these problems. I bet it is a distributer and/or spider injectors/FPR on yours.

I've got a buddy with a '00 4.3 RCSB with close to 400k, original engine and tranny, so they can live long...

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unfortunately, "rebuilt" isn't a unilateral term. Without being able to drive it, you'll have no real idea about how good or dead that trans is. Assume that engine is dead too, unless the dude who owns it was the original owner or has a documented service history. You could also peer into the throttle body. If it's all dirty and oily, stick a fork in it. You could also pull a spark plug although they're probably fuel fouled. I'd bet the engine has compression issues, hence the miss. Coolant in the oil? Oil in the coolant?
I didn’t drive it but I’ve ridden in it. Throttle body is a little dirty. There’s no coolant in the oil. I’ve messed around with the truck before so I’m pretty familiar with it. I’m mainly concerned with the miss.

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
$500?! How can you go wrong, LOL. I mean, a decent set of tires alone are that much nowadays. What are your plans for it? I've got a '99 4.3 GMT800 that I've had since '07.

I've got the no-start when rain/damp. Mine has 260,000 but unfortunately has low oil pressure and I have just retired it from daily driving it due to both of these problems. I bet it is a distributer and/or spider injectors/FPR on yours.

I've got a buddy with a '00 4.3 RCSB with close to 400k, original engine and tranny, so they can live long...
That’s what I’m thinking. I’m mainly looking at it as a fixer upper to turn into a reliable work truck to turn my near pristine 97 into a weekend driver.

I don’t tow much of anything so my thinking is a 4.3 is better for my needs rather than a 5.7. Then I have the 5.7 when I need it.

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the truck is clean and ultimately the body style you want along with related options, its definitely worth it.

You could check the compression, its worth doing. Plan on replacing the engine, but even then it's still a good deal.
The paint isn’t the best in the world but there’s no rust. Yeah the engine replacement is also a concern. I haven’t checked compression yet

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with everybody. Assume the big expensive stuff will go bad. 500 not much. Make sure he has the title and there's no stupid stuff like (stolen) or drugs lol. I buy it if all the legal stuff is good. Anybody who knows these trucks knows about the tranny, motor, fuel pump, suspension will be needing replacing at 300k. Shoot mine has 473k and I'm in the process of replacing anything with those miles lol