Good crimpers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Ok, now that we've had the solder vs. crimp thread and it's been stressed that both need to be done properly with proper tools...

What is a proper crimper? I've got a couple and I'm not happy with them. I'm not sure of it's the quality of build, or if it's the design, or both.

They're this style (not HF branded)

I think I've got one other type, but still same-ish.

I started Googling and I ran across this site, and they have a different crimper for insulated with PVC, insulated with nylon, insulated with heat shrink, and non-insulated

I'm not even sure what connectors I want to use. I've always thought the colored plastic shrouded version looks cheap, and they're not going to be optimum for an environment that doesn't stay dry. My thought it either the heat shrink type, or non-insulated and then insulated them myself with heat shrink.

I've got a couple of things I need to do..... City Lights on my Artebs, and a new blower motor switch pigtail.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is the style I was talking about in that thread...

Note the crimping is at the other end of the handle, so the force is much greater that the style on the link you posted. I never had good luck with that style. Seemed like terminals are slid off with a good tug, no matter how much I squeezed..

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought these on recommendation by I think it was PlayingWithTBI. Work awesome, perfect crimp every time.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is a proper crimper? I've got a couple and I'm not happy with them. I'm not sure of it's the quality of build, or if it's the design, or both.

They're this style (not HF branded)

I have some of them similar to yours, I broke one trying to crimp a big wire. I keep this one in my tool bag, have had it for years. (kinda the same as @stutaeng but, different brand)

I bought these on recommendation by I think it was PlayingWithTBI. Work awesome, perfect crimp every time.
Yes, these are great for the open end style crimp ends. Then you can simply use heat shrink if you're in a wet environment.

You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have some of them similar to yours, I broke one trying to crimp a big wire. I keep this one in my tool bag, have had it for years. (kinda the same as @stutaeng but, different brand)

Yes, these are great for the open end style crimp ends. Then you can simply use heat shrink if you're in a wet environment.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it needs to say Klein on it, so be it, but the ratcheting type is what you want. I also have the other style and not impressed.
What's great about them (for the plastic-barrelled solderless crimp connectors) is the ratchet style generally have wider jaws that have a pair of "teeth" (dunno what they're officially named) that effect the crimp, way better than that little dent the cheap crimpers give you.

Like you said, no need to spend a big chunk of change on expensive ratcheting crimpers for DIY-type work. The ones I've been using forever (and a lot) cost me $25 forever ago; no-name bought from someone's tool table at a swap meet.

Richard

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For professional crimps on weatherpacks, deutz connectors, or those Amazon terminal kits, I use an old pair of Mac Tools TCT1028 crimpers. They work beautifully, but it doesn't look like Mac sells them any more. I did find something that looks comparable on Amazon.
www.amazon.com/Tool-Aid-SGT18600-Crimping-Barrel/dp/B00BQWO5RU