Gmt800 fans ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you sure it was the fan's fault? They cool LQ9's with ease..

Richard

Dead sure that it was a CFM problem. Ever notice how GM still does not put electric fans on the Express vans. Not even with the 4.3. I have times the fan clutch kicks in a 75 mph. Engine temp drops a solid 20°F when the fan engages.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dead sure that it was a CFM problem. Ever notice how GM still does not put electric fans on the Express vans. Not even with the 4.3. I have times the fan clutch kicks in a 75 mph. Engine temp drops a solid 20°F when the fan engages.
I really don't pay attention to vans. So a 4.3 runs hotter than a 6.0 and needs more fan? I'm no engineer but this is a baffling debate to me.. as I drive my factory e-fan 6.0 around in this Houston summer and observe perfectly normal coolant temperatures and cold A/C in a black truck.

Richard

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I thought that they didn't put electric fans on the vans for the same reason why don't put them on the HD trucks: Those 2 types of vehicles are almost exclusively operated by contractors loading/hauling stuff for work...up to and probably over their capacities. I'm pretty sure even today the HDs are still running mechanical fans. AFAIK, the mechanical fans seems to be preferred for that type of heavy duty application? Just my speculation. But the Vans do have reduced airflow vs trucks is what I hear, so don't really know.

My '06 2500 suburban with the LQ4 has a mechanical fan, but I can feel the AC not being as cold at idle, so that's where the e-fan has the advantage.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really don't pay attention to vans. So a 4.3 runs hotter than a 6.0 and needs more fan? I'm no engineer but this is a baffling debate to me.. as I drive my factory e-fan 6.0 around in this Houston summer and observe perfectly normal coolant temperatures and cold A/C in a black truck.

Richard

Its not so much that it runs hotter per say. Its more the body and engine compartment make it nexessary to have stronger fans. For example a mid 80s 2.8L F-car has the same radiator core as a mid 80s 350 truck. The 2.8L needed the larger core because of the small grille opening and the single fan. Truck cooled just fine with the open engine compartment, generous grilled and mechanical engine fan.

When I was running a mechanical fan on the Express van it took me a Duramax fan blade to get it to finally cool as well as it should. Duramax fan blade had it rock solid at 178-182°F and ice cold a/c.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
GVWR definitely plays a role, working vehicles must stay cool. Hence why towing packages come with additional auxiliary coolers and bigger radiators, not just suspension. Doesn't matter if you're commuting to work by yourself, or lugging a slightly overloaded trailer with a full crew inside - total cooling capacity is key.

Simply put, many aftermarket/self-engineered electric fan setups are hard to beat a mechanical fan setup. There are great electric options out there, but you'll still need clearance to account for the extra diameter, blade pitch, speed, and an area to displace all that moving air.

You'll notice lots of factory e-fan setups are placed on single core radiators with a lot of surface area...Because they don't have the gusto to suck air through a smaller equivalent 2.5"+ thick radiator. Fan CFM ratings are often based on a static pressure with no restrictions, a hard thing to factor in when converting over. The thicker the cores, the less effective your average low-profile e-fans become.

Also not to mention, there's other engineering that coincides with all of that. Take off the plastic air dam below the front bumper on an older GM passenger car and you'll see weird cooling system behavior. They rely on that low pressure zone to assist in pulling air through the radiator at speed. If you have a fan setup that's a fraction of an inch from your accessory drive, you better believe that it's going to have a hard time working properly.

Now there's a few horsepower and a little bit of fuel economy to be had with e-fans, but everyone has to decide what's best for their application. :waytogo: