GMT400 Vac to GMT800 Suburban Hydroboost Conversion Detailed Write Up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SubWarrior

Reaction score
Trying to stop a fully loaded k1500 suburban in an emergency situation feels something like throwing out an anchor on the exxon valdez and praying for the best. In my opinion, the greatest flaw of the GMT400(OBS) half tons is the brakes. The most effective modification to remedy this starts with the brake boosting system. Hydroboost systems can provide almost double the pressure provided by vacuum boost. Many have seen 30-40 foot reduction in stopping distance from 60mph out of a hydroboost conversion, which is a tremendous improvement. My 2003 2500HD crewcab Duramax weighs in at ~4 tons and thanks to hydroboost (and much better rotors and calipers) , it will stop on a dime. My goal with this project was to upgrade the brakes on a 1999 k1500 suburban to roughly 70-80% of the GMT800 (NBS) duramax. Without 4 wheel discs, big rotors, and 2 piston calipers, I believe this is doable. In this thread ill share what knowledge i've gained about hydroboost conversions on these trucks, as well as the entire process of the conversion.

Disclaimer: ye be warned, this is a serious modification and should only be considered by seasoned mechanics. Even with all stock gmt400 parts you increase the complexity of your brake system and the margins for error are small. The information I provide here is for personal use and should not be regarded as professional. This modification is intended for off road use. Should it fail, whoever/whatever you destroy, as well as your insurance company, will know exactly who to blame.

What is hydroboost:
Simply put, it's a hydraulic contraption that uses the pressure from your power steering pump to amplify the pressure applied to the brakes when you step on the pedal. Its been around for decades and is seen most often on diesel pickups due to their inability to create vacuum. Its become increasingly popular on large gas vehicles, muscle cars, and hot rods as more effective braking system. Why don’t all cars have this system? Vacuum boost is less complicated, independent of power steering, and usually can provide plenty of boost on most vehicles with a well designed system. Hydroboost are more expensive, complex, and prone to leak. In addition, being run by power steering, when one goes they both go. yikes. For towing and off roading, these systems are almost a must and vastly increase the capabilities of your brake system in challenging situations. While the exact numbers vary between systems, you can expect roughly double the available braking pressure (at the calipers) over vacuum boost.

Many GMT400’s came stock with hydroboost. All the diesels, most of the 3/4t, and virtually all of the 1tons. I’ve never driven stock w/HB, but I hear the consensus is the stopping force is better and the pedal feel is an improvement. There are some good writeups out there on the conversion and parts needed. I hope to expand on the efforts of this great work and get some solid results on the use of an GMT800 system. The reason I chose to go the hard way is that the GMT800 hydro units are considered to be stronger and more reliable. Depending on where you buy your parts from, the cost of gmt800 components can be less and the rebuild parts easier to find down the road. The fabrication required to adapt gmt800 hydroboost to gmt400 is not overly complicated. There are some really good threads out there on this topic that were a big help, but I felt a detailed write up would be beneficial.

I would like to thank these members and threads for sharing their knowledge:

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?13105-GMT-400-Hydroboost-swap

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?11821-1500-Hydroboost-Conversion-Part-Numbers

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/nbs-hydroboost-obs-491487/

http://www.gmc4x4.com/topic/2599-hydroboost-conversion/

What you need for the conversion
Money and time. Straight up, to do this project right it is not cheap nor will you pound it out in an afternoon. Budget $600 to $800 and 8-10hrs of work. You can take my word for it and those who have gone before me, It is well worth it.

Hydroboost unit
GMT400: ACDelco 178-578 $165
GMT800: ACDelco 14PB4054 $140 ( you will need a junkyard unit as well for push rod, retainer, return spring, and core charge)

Master cylinder : You have to match them up. So far as I know you cannot easily mix and match master cylinders & boosters.
GMT400: ACDelco 174-722 $97
GMT800: 18M2426 $70

Power Steering pump: Yes, buy the pump, there is a difference in pressure output. While many have retained the 1/2t pump and used a T for the extra return line, this falls short of how the Hydro Booster is designed to work. Don’t go through all this work for a sub par system. You have to take off the p/s pump to remove the EVOS anyways so mind as well put in the right one.
ACDelco 36-517137 $85
Duralast 7137 $54
Napa 385140 $62

Power steering cooler: Yes its necessary. The fluid gets very hot and if it foams thats a bad thing. Hotter fluids wear out expensive components faster.
GM p# 26041420 & 15655032 $100
Summit and others have coolers for cheaper, GM on bolts up quick and easy.

Variable EVO delete: Initially I thought it would be a Shame to lose it because steering becomes pretty light at highway speeds. This part is way more expensive than it should be. All you really need is the U shaped component when using a 3/4t pump. Thus far I have noticed lighter steering, but it has not been too much of a bother.
GM #19168825 $64

Power steering filter : often forgotten, but very necessary. Hydro Boosters are very sensitive to any particulate matter.
Magnefine $25
Wix $15

Brake pedal: Its down to junk yards only as of 8/12/2014 hardest part to find.
gm 5015868 $30

Lines
p/s pump to hydroboost ACDELCO Part # 36365460 $20
hydroboost high pressure to steering ACDelco Part # 36365490 $32
hydroboost return to pump ACDELCO Part # 36368640 $13
Steering return to pump - same as the one you have already.

Brake line adaptor: GMT800 mc only
AGS/1/2 in. - 20 inverted male to 9/16 in. - 18 inverted female port brass brake adapter (Autozone) $3
PN : BLF-26C

3/4t Calipers : Yes they bolt up and use the same pads
Right : FRC4414 $35
Left: FRC4413 $35

Stainless steel lines: I didn’t want to deal with a 15 year old rubber line bursting under the higher line pressures. Also makes a difference in pedal feel, stopping power and I have plans to lift in the future.
Skyjacker front pair $80
Skyjacker rear (Only need one) $40

Odds and ends
2 to 3 quarts ps fluid
about 2 quarts synthetic dot 3 brake fluid
I installed new brake pads, Hawk SD

Special Tools
Fan clutch removal tool (NAPA $21)
PS pump pulley removal tool (harbor freight $10)

SubWarrior

Reaction score
Procedure:

You can start with either the power steering or booster.

Use a suction device to remove as much fluid as possible from the master cylinder. Place some rags under the lines and remove them from the MC. Then unbolt the master from the vacuum booster. Remove the vacuum line from the booster, it just pops off. I cut the vacuum line close to the manifold and used a scrap piece of rod stock and hose clamp to plug it, a bolt would work too.

Here comes the fun part, under the dash. Remove the plastic knee panel. Just some screws and it pops off. The parking brake release handle pops off as well. unbolt the metal knee panel. Getting the clip off of the brake light switch is tricky. Here is what it looks like.

You must be registered for see images attach

I used an aull to pry apart the clasp on the pedal pin. You can rotate the clip to get access the the pry point. The brake light switch then pops off the brake booster rod and slides off the end of the pedal pin. You are now free to slide the rod off the pedal pin and unbolt the 4 nuts holding on the vac booster. This is also a good time to swap over to the HB pedal. Pin location is the only difference between the two pedals, but this is required to get the correct geometry for the rod and everything to work properly.

You have to remove the metal panel on right side of the steering column and blindly reach up to find the big pedal bolt. It’s a !@#$ to get to but doable. A 90 air rachet it your friend here. The bolts are nylon and the space is very tight. With them off you can pull out your booster and get your drill ready to make 1 new hole for the GMT800 HB unit. Cardboard is handy here.

The next step is matching the pedal to the new HB unit. The end of the rods are different between the two units; the gmt800 unit is shorter. My solution was to use the end of the junkyard unit and a threaded coupler to make it longer. In hindsight I should have used the stock vac rod end instead. (Highly recommend this) The diameter and square shape of the gmt800 rod end required modification of the brake light switch and a spacer to be added on the pin to reduce slack. All of this could have been avoided by using the gmt400 rod end instead.

Using a good tap (these rods are a hard metal) I threaded them to 10mm and did a test fit to get the pedal height where I wanted it. Make sure that the coupler does not impede the rod from going all the way into the HB. I then put a little tack weld to hold the coupler in place where I wanted it. Im sure JB weld would work fine here too. Normally I would be hesitant to go chopping away on a new part like this, but the good news is that a HB unit can rebuilt for under $40. http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/d...w-hydroboost-rebuild-leak-fix-discussion.html

The main reason a junk yard HB is required for this conversion is not the pedal rod, but the spring, push rod, and retainer. These parts are nearly impossible to find from GM and take 2 seconds to switch from old unit to new unit. See what I mean by this picture.

At this point go ahead and bolt up the HB, connect the rod, brake light switch but hold off on the master cylinder. Halfway there! Here is where the real fun begins; the power steering pump.

Remove the fan shroud and disconnect the ps lines and drain the system. Loosen the tensioner and remove the belt. Next step is to remove the fan clutch. A tool is a must here. Napa usually has one in stock and its well worth it. I realized that I have 218k on my original water pump so no doubt this fan is coming off again soon. Here is what it does so you can hold the pulley still while you loosen the big nut that holds it on. We had to use cheater bars on both the wrench and the tool.

With that bad boy off its time to remove the pulley from the ps pump. Harbor freight sells the tool to do this and it works really well. This video explains it well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtHG4y_rdMI
With the pulley off you can see all the bolts to remove from the front and back of the pump.

I would recommend installing the U shaped EVOs delete kit before putting the new pump in. Reinstall the pulley and belt, install new lines and fill the system with new fluid. I put the filter in the low pressure return line from the HB to the pump. While the low pressure line from the steering would be better, its a more difficult line to get to and in truth makes little difference on the performance of the filter and the system.

With the lines installed, the master can be bolted up now. Make sure to bench bleed it first and follow the instructions that come with it. Each master bench bleeds a little differently. I used plastic fittings and tubing on this one to send the fluid back to the reservoir. filled the reservoir ¾ full, waited until fluid entered the lines and slowly pushed on the cylinder a few times till no air was coming out and both lines were flowing well. The front brake line requires an adaptor but the rear does not.

At this point the ps system can be bled. It helps to have 2 people when doing this. Jack the front up, fill up the reservoir, turn start the motor, keep filling the reservoir while truing the wheel lock to lock. It take about 20-30 turns to get most of the air out.
Here is a good guide for the process http://my.cardone.com/techdocs/PT 52-0001.pdf

Before moving onto caliper and pads I decided to test the system. First impression was a very firm pedal, almost too firm. The exact reason for this is still unknown, but after 1500 miles the pedal has softened up quite a bit. I suspect air was still in the lines and/or the HB unit and new pump had a break in period. We went ahead and replaced the calipers, pads, and lines stuck with same rotors though. I am still looking to do an upgrade to bigger calipers and rotors all around but thats a ways down the road. The extra pressure is great, but calipers, and especially these small rotors hit their limits quickly on interstate mountain pass driving.

Final thoughts:

While I have no numbers yet on stopping distance, the driving experience completely changes with these brakes. As I had hoped I can lock up (activate the ABS) on dry smooth pavement and with some satisfaction can surprise the crap out of 8 passengers. While all that is great what is really awesome is how precise and effortless the brakes have become. The pedal feel is excellent with much better feedback. At any point you can get the exact amount of braking force you want with virtually zero lag time. With the old vac system there was so much lag and in an emergency stop it was downright scary how long it would take. The precision of this system makes challenging situations like steep inclines, off road maneuvers, and towing much easier. So far I have not discovered anything specific to the gmt800 components that is bad given that I am not sure how they compare to the gmt400’s. Pedal travel, front/rear proportioning, and boost all seem to be well in balance.

The most important advantage for me personally, is how much safer the truck feels. Knowing that I have a better chance of maintaining vehicle control in an emergency / any situation was well worth the cost of the project. Though modifying the brake system can be like opening pandora's box, I feel this modification has reduced the chances for system failure by replacing the critical components with brand new parts designed with better technology and stronger performance.

Thanks for reading. Good luck and may the vortec be with you.