GMT400 on a tow tolly? Possible!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrmar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If anyone has ever wondered, yes it IS possible to tow a GMT400 on a uHaul tow dolly, and with another GMT400 no less. I needed to get one of my trucks out of shop hell and this was the easiest way for me to do it. Mind you I only towed it a distance of about 2 miles and I kept it under 35. The uHaul dealer I picked up the dolly from had three different sizes: 69", 74", and 76" between the dolly fenders. The truck I towed isn't the most structurally sound as you can see by the buckling between cab and bed.

You must be registered for see images attach

Oh, and the tire size on the towed truck is 265/70R16. Didn't get it quite centered on the dolly but as it doesn't have reverse I went with it. For going longer distance at any kind of speed I would definitely want to beef up the brakes on the towing truck as well as take out the driveshaft of the towed truck.

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
What size dolly did you end up going with? The 76"? And how much did the dolly squat with the dead truck on it? Did it track behind your truck fairly well?

chrmar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used the 76" dolly. My springs are slightly flattened and I need shocks so it did squat a bit. It tracked pretty well although by the time I got to my destination it was getting a little squirrelly; the steering should be locked. Without the driveshaft in you'd be able to leave it in park and lock the steering.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Really doesn't matter how much braking the TV has, you can lock all 4 down and the truck on the dolley will keep pushing. That's why they suck. Hell for 2 miles though I would have found a friend and pulled it with a chain.