GMT400 History

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Of significance and usually overlooked the first run of the 1988 GMT-400Trucks had lines between the gages GM revised the gages in January 1988 I believe all trucks manufactured in 1987 as 1988 trucks had the lines between the gages also i noticed there is no mention of the factory steering wheels The Silverado came standard with a Custom Steering wheel and a Sport steering wheel was optional with Silverado trim The Scottsdale trim came with the standard steering wheel but could also be had with the Custom steering wheel also in 1988 most options were free flowing meaning you could see a base model Cheyenne with power locks and windows 2 tone paint 5.7L V8 A/C Tilt,cruise and then right next to it a Silverado with manual locks and windows with no A/C and solid paint with say a 5.0 L V8 also on the GMC models on the tailgate the Sierra badge in the lower right corner was a decal in the early run models but changed to plastic mid year.....
This makes since. My 88 sierra is a base modle with 2 tone paint, upgraded stereo, cruise, and tilt, manual windows and locks, with cloth bench seat.

Reyosito

Reaction score
Just for fun I'll post all the exterior factory colors of the 1988 Gmc Sierra and Chevrolet C/K since that was the first year of these great trucks #1 Spice Brown Metallic #2 Adobe Gold Metallic #3 Sandstone metallic #4 Iced blue metallic #5 Pacific blue metallic #6 Summit White #7 Brandywine metallic #8 Quicksilver metallic #9 Flame red #10 Onyx Black

Reyosito

Reaction score
Research and Development on the 1988 GMT 400 trucks began in October of 1983 Production began December 8th 1986 and they were introduced April of 1987 some of the production plants had not changed over yet and were still producing the 73-87 bodystyle trucks in January and early 1987 therefor some of the old bodystyle 1987 trucks actually have a newer production date than the new at the time GMT 400 trucks so for instance you could have a ('88) Gmt 400 truck manufactured in December of 1986 and a old bodystyle ('87) Truck manufactured in say January of 1987

Reyosito

Reaction score
The power ratings on the 1996 Vortec powered trucks differed slightly from the '97-'99 trucks due to a software change in the OBD 2 system 1996 5.7 L V8 was rated at 250 hp and 335 lbft of torque the '97-'99 5.7 L V8 changed to 255 hp and 330 lbft of torque the 1996 5.0 L V8 was rated at 220 hp and 285 lbft of torque the '97-'99 5.0 L V8 gained 10 hp to 230 hp and 285 lbft of torque also i think it was mentioned before somewhere on here but in mid '97 the trim level badges changed from the square.plastic ones to the rubber rounded edge badges also the '99 classic top trim level changed from Silverado to LS like the GMT 800's you can Tell Vortec powered trucks ('96-99) from their earlier TBI powered counterparts 3 ways #1 the wheels were smooth with caps hiding the lug nuts #2 The tailpipe has a distinct kink in it # 3 The trim level badge was moved forward on the cab pillar on Extended cab trucks a few inches to make room for the 3rd door option

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just read through all 18 pages to make sure no one had posted it already, hopefully I didn't over look it. No one has mentioned the CUCV II. From what I've read they were basically Cheyenne trim level trucks with the military changes. All had a very unique brush guard and all have a 24 volt starting system. I can't find much on them, almost nothing. Some had 350s,454s, and the diesel. The few pictures on line I've found show them all with the diesel bumper but who knows what's under the hood. All of the ones I've seen pictures of were 8 lug, except the 2 door Tahoe like ones. They came in those, Suburban configurations and rclb from what I've found, including dually trucks as well. Some have ambulance beds. From what I read these trucks started production in 1996. I have never seen one in person, just the original CUCVs.

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
My 96 has the smooth caps

Sent from my Vortec powered HTC One M8