Gm discontinued L31 crate motors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With my truck running like crap I thought I would check Summit/Jegs just in case looks like GM no longer manufactures these motors

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like they still list the HD version at least.

You must be registered for see images attach

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw that after I added it to the cart. Perhaps they got behind on production due to the strike, or perhaps they're discontinuing it as you say.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hope they just got behind. I just checked GMperformancemotor and it says ETA in March with new p/n and price on arrival.
https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/category/GENG.html
I am sure GM is catching up on their Marine and Industrial contracts for that engine before they even consider building them for replacement parts. They build a very high low speed torque cammed propane or natural gas burning industrial engine and the marine cammed 300 hp version in addition to the truck engine. All 3 use the same shortblock.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I saw that after I added it to the cart. Perhaps they got behind on production due to the strike, or perhaps they're discontinuing it as you say.
Highly doubt it is going away anytime soon. As popular as it is for Marine/Industrial and StreetRod/Racing use.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Highly doubt it is going away anytime soon. As popular as it is for Marine/Industrial and StreetRod/Racing use.

I'm aware of their industrial use, as I work on them on occasion in some of the smaller Cat genset packages, specifically the DG50-2. I was a bit surprised the first time I opened the enclosure on one and found essentially an L31 staring back at me. Kohler also uses them for small gensets, as well as the 4.3, both running natural gas or propane. I really want a set of the valve covers off of the Kohler, as they are stamped "Kohler", mostly for the head-scratching effect. One oddity is that the Kohler had what looked like aluminum heads, though I couldn't find a casting number or part number externally. Anyway, all of that to say that I DOUBT the engine is being discontinued, but allow for the possibility.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm aware of their industrial use, as I work on them on occasion in some of the smaller Cat genset packages, specifically the DG50-2. I was a bit surprised the first time I opened the enclosure on one and found essentially an L31 staring back at me. Kohler also uses them for small gensets, as well as the 4.3, both running natural gas or propane. I really want a set of the valve covers off of the Kohler, as they are stamped "Kohler", mostly for the head-scratching effect. One oddity is that the Kohler had what looked like aluminum heads, though I couldn't find a casting number or part number externally. Anyway, all of that to say that I DOUBT the engine is being discontinued, but allow for the possibility.

I guess it doesn't overly bother me now anyway. The aftermarket is casting improved blocks and heads that are better than the GM ones now anyway. Dart/World/Edelbrock and even Blueprint are casting their own blocks. My next build will be a factory roller, 1 piece rear main style, 350 main, 400 bore aftermarket block with a 3.875" stroke.

I have worked on a mercury marine engine that had GM fast burns on it. Was a TBI engine. Owner said it was as he bought it new. Had the 395 cam, 1.6 rockers and fast burns.

My Hecho en Mexico goodwrench vortec was JUNK from day one anyway. It had a rod journal that was out of round and ate its bearing. Also had 062 heads that flowed like garbage and cracked after one very mild overheat. The distributer gear on the cam also ate itself in 20K using a new OEM distributor gear. That engine never ran as well as the one it came down the assembly line with.

Last edited: