GM crate engines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trlrider

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, anyone here used the GM replacement engine for the 96-98 full size trucks? I see they offer 2 different Vortec headed motors. One is listed as a standard replacement with 2 bolt mains while the other is listed as a HD version which comes with 4 bolt mains and I believe different hardened exhaust valve seats.

This motor would be going in a daily driver with occasional towing. Question is should I just stick the stock 2 bolt replacement in or grab the HD? Looking for any feedback from anyone who has bought one of these and installed, hard to beat the price and 3yr 100,000mi warranty. Cheaper than I could rebuild the current motor once I add in machine shop costs.

Here is a screen shot of the 2 motors, prices and descriptions. Just happens both are on sale right now.
You must be registered for see images attach

For less then $100 dollars difference, the HD would be the way to go, especially if you plan to have power adders at a later date. I have two GM Crates and neither have given me any issues. Both were 100% new parts (not reman) and both running solid. Just converted one to TBI and now that I have finally figured out a runnable tune, real happy with hit. Tomorrow is a big test with a 400 mile trip.

Trlrider

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
TBI can take the 383, and self adjust just fine.. I imagine vortec computer can do the same. You don't need a tune.. your computers do that on their own. That's why you have an O2 sensor. The "tune" part, is telling the computer to handle what it sees differently. More timing, more fuel, etc. The factory original tune is the "safe" tune. GM does that for warranty reasons, and frankly, extends the life of your motor. There's allot of "performance" left on the table with all the C/K motors. Anyway, so long as your injectors and fuel pressure can keep up, the computer wont get scared.

Hmm, that is what I thought when I put my crate SBC in a '93 K1500 Suburban. The tune should self adjust, right?
Did not happen!
Better heads, better intake, longer intake runners and the engine would fall flat on it's face with the stock tune. Lot's of headaches later and several changes in the .bin and I finally have a driveable vehicle again.

NOTE to the OP: The Vortec Black Box PCM's are not tuner friendly. You will be best off upgrading to the later PCM ('0411). There are plenty of sources to repin your harness and use the user friendly LS1 Type PCM's and have much better tuning options. LS Droid and Tuner Pro RT are both free (although we suggest you support the author of Tuner Pro and pay for the licensed version). If I could make a '0411 work with my TBI I would change it in a New York Minute!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I could make a '0411 work with my TBI I would change it in a New York Minute!
Maybe an EBL Flash-II? If you have an auto trans you will have to run back to back computers since the EBL won't do "E" transmissions.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm, that is what I thought when I put my crate SBC in a '93 K1500 Suburban. The tune should self adjust, right?
Did not happen!
Better heads, better intake, longer intake runners and the engine would fall flat on it's face with the stock tune. Lot's of headaches later and several changes in the .bin and I finally have a driveable vehicle again.

NOTE to the OP: The Vortec Black Box PCM's are not tuner friendly. You will be best off upgrading to the later PCM ('0411). There are plenty of sources to repin your harness and use the user friendly LS1 Type PCM's and have much better tuning options. LS Droid and Tuner Pro RT are both free (although we suggest you support the author of Tuner Pro and pay for the licensed version). If I could make a '0411 work with my TBI I would change it in a New York Minute!

Black Box can run just about any streetable cam you want to run. I have tuned many of them with TunerCats OBD2. The 0411 and later PCM does run a little better and is capable of being tuned by anyone with HP Tuners.