GM crate engines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tachrev

Reaction score
He's looking at a ~$2000 long-block engine vs. the ~$5000 long-block 383 or 383E. I don't see the HT383 or 383E as a particular bargain.

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/Chevrolet-Performance-HT383E-Crate-Engine-19355721-P10402.aspx
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/Chevrolet-Performance-HT383-Crate-Engine-19355720-P9409.aspx
And, again, there's the question of warranty. The 383 is for '79 and older, the 383E is for '96 and newer. The OP has never said what year vehicle these would be going into.

I agree. I always thought the GMPP HT383E was a big price jump for what you get. If it $3-$3.5K it would still be expensive, but make more sense to me.

The Blue Ox

Reaction score
If towing is your main goal, I would get the 383! Gm calls it I believe a 383HT!

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 383HTE is quite a bit more than the long blocks I’m looking at right now. I’m buying 2 so keeping price down is important. One will go into my 1999 Tahoe while the other goes into my 1997 z71, both at K1500 series trucks.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been told, and have also read on here, when going from the 2 bolt to 4 bolt the PCM will need tuned.

The 4 bolt has single angle valves and hardened inserts for the valve seats. The 2 bolt has 3 angle valves and the normally hardened seats--but they are not inserts. Allegedly the 3 angle valves in the 2 bolt flow better. The hardened inserts in the 4 bolt hold up better under sustained loads.

For the $5k a HT383E would cost, a guy can have his existing motor rebuilt with a good cam, roller rockers, beehive springs, higher compression pistons (if you want to), Black Bear tune, and still have money left over.

Or, a new crate L31, Black Bear premium gas tune, and have lots of money left over.........

tachrev

Reaction score
I have been told, and have also read on here, when going from the 2 bolt to 4 bolt the PCM will need tuned.

The 4 bolt has single angle valves and hardened inserts for the valve seats. The 2 bolt has 3 angle valves and the normally hardened seats--but they are not inserts. Allegedly the 3 angle valves in the 2 bolt flow better. The hardened inserts in the 4 bolt hold up better under sustained loads.

I don't think that is the case. GM says you can run the HT383 on the stock tune. You can change your exhaust without a tune.

Optimizing the tuning helps even on a stock engine, but it is not required. Definitely not required for the possible 5-10 cfm difference (if that) in flow on the exhaust side of HD vs SD heads.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Summit has some 454 crate engines for under $2500 right now, just food for thought. That's probably more for dedicated towing, or just having the raw torque of a 454.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Summitracing has new GM 383 blocks for $1250 and Summit has .30 over L31 blocks machined for strokers for $800. You could build your own engines the way you want for less than the $5000 GM wants for the 383HT.

GregB

Reaction score
The GM "advertising" in post 1 specifically says 3 year, 100000 mile warranty WHEN INSTALLED INTO AN APPROVED GM APPLICATION.

I bet you get a 12 month, 12000 mile warranty in non-approved applications, such as stuffing a "HD" 3/4 ton long-block into a half-ton truck.

VERIFY with the seller--or YOUR LOCAL DEALER, 'cause they're the ones that are going to be honoring (or not honoring) the warranty--BEFORE BUYING.

I would not sacrifice the warranty to gain six extra bolts. I MIGHT be willing to sacrifice some warranty if I thought the cylinder heads were more durable based on "upgraded exhaust valves and cylinder heads". I would not put money down until I had confirmation of EXACTLY what is different between the two engines.

I called SDPC ( Scoggin Dickey Parts Centre ) yesterday and you are right on about the warranty. I must say a very knowledgeible person answered the phone and I gave him the serial number for my 1999 Tahoe I want to put the negine in and the HD is not an approved application for that engine, considering my Tahoe has the Z56 Police Package I was thinking it may have the HD engine but nope. So if I buy that engine I only get the 12 month/12000 mile warranty. I initially wanted the 383E for my Thaoe but can't justify, to me, the extar expense fort that engine. My Tahoe , pictured, is mint and I plan to keep it for a long time so want to get the right engine for my needs in it. PIc with trees is form 2008 when I bought Thaoe from Ebay and second is from fall 2016 when she was on her way to Winter Storage.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^See now this will also impact my decision. If it was a race or off-road application I would just do whatever but since it’s my daily driver and work truck I want the full 100k mike coverage.