GM crate engines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mountie

I sold my '88 C2500 to a happy guy in Germany
Reaction score
I put in a 350, 4-bolt main at 220,000. That was back in 1999. Still running great. ( I changed a cracked head 8 years ago & replaced my stock exhaust manifolds)..... but not complaining !!

I got the engine through Pep Boys. It was a good re builder, that only distributed through them.
It cost $1,300 as a long block.

I have 391,000 miles on the truck.

likestrucks

Reaction score
I have the 12530283(new GM 4 bolt L31) installed in my truck. It's nice that it comes with a 3-year 160k warranty. For the price, i don't think it can be beat. Its 7 years old now and has about 70000km on it and I haven't had any issues yet.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the 12530283(new GM 4 bolt L31) installed in my truck. It's nice that it comes with a 3-year 160k warranty. For the price, i don't think it can be beat. Its 7 years old now and has about 70000km on it and I haven't had any issues yet.
This is the one I have been giving thought to, lot of good reviews on them.

Reaction score
Curious as to member experiences with GM crate engines . 1998 5.7 let me start out by saying I am not looking for performance , just dependability and quality for a direct stock replacement. I would like to hear good and bad experiences . Would like also to hear about your experiences with the vendors customer service, delivery etc that you bought from.
I bought a GM Crate Engine for my '88. Like you I was not interested in a hot rod so I bought a long block 5.7 and added an Edelbrock Preformer TBI manifold and a set of shorty headers. I installed the engine late in 2010 and have used it as a daily driver since then. It is used mostly for local drives of 50 miles or so round trip but has made several 400+ mile drives at freeway speeds plus one 800+ mile round trip to Savannah. Other than oil changes and a replacement serpentine belt it has been trouble free. I went with the crate motor since rebuilding my 5.7 as I would have done with line boring, new cam bearings, cam, etc plus head work for the milling and valve work would have cost more. I would do the same again.

Tachyon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Curious as to member experiences with GM crate engines . 1998 5.7 let me start out by saying I am not looking for performance , just dependability and quality for a direct stock replacement. I would like to hear good and bad experiences . Would like also to hear about your experiences with the vendors customer service, delivery etc that you bought from.

See my signature.
I installed a GMPP HT383E crate engine in my Suburban for exactly the reasons you're talking about. Yes, I wanted a little more power, but I mostly wanted something that would be bullet-proof reliable.
I have to report that after now having this engine for several years, I am VERY pleased with it and have no problem recommending it. It's pretty much everything I wanted in the swap. There are a few things I wish I'd known ahead of time, the main one being to replace more of the addons and engine accessories at the same time I did the swap. Eg, distributor, PCV, EGR, EVAP etc. but most of all the fuel injection spider. I recommend that upgrade to every Vortec owner, but especially engine swappers.
I can post more and answer questions, but I've already posted a LOT on this project over at GM-Truck Club (no offense to this forum, I've just been a member there a lot longer).