GM crate engines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bare minimum in my book would probably be exhaust bolts, oil, filter, coolant, motor mounts (might as well while your in there) and probably some fresh routine maintinance stuff. Doing it yourself with the bare minimum i would budget about $2000-$2500. Labor would probably be about $1000 to $1500.
Those figures is what I was guesstimating it would take... give or take.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Those figures is what I was guesstimating it would take... give or take.
It just depends on the shop rates and how much new stuff you want. You could replace all the accesories and sensors but its just a matter of how far you want to take it.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To bad GM no longer has the L31 short block, then you could add the 395 cam and aftermarket vortec heads for basically the same cost as the L31 crate.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I wish crate big blocks were as cheap as crate small blocks; I've been kicking around the idea of buying a crate engine for my old 97 Suburban when the funds are available; unless it gets sold before then...

Karl Performance had some discount thing going for their crate engines they sell; I don't know if it's still going on though.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I understand, over the years I have had 383,406,423 stroker's and at this age there is something special about stock engines and quiet exhaust lol.

not sure if you know, but the HT383E is a drop in replacement for the L31 in 1/2 tons.....uses the stock intake, exhaust and computer, should you choose to do that.......i went with a JBA single sided exhaust with shorty headers.......nice and quiet, but deep....Volant air box......still not tuned....

as a bolt in it's pretty well documented that it produces 323 and 444 at the crank...........

i did weigh my choice considerably before pulling the trigger............stock Harleys don't do it for me either, strokers all the way...LOL.