GM crate engines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Curious as to member experiences with GM crate engines . 1998 5.7 let me start out by saying I am not looking for performance , just dependability and quality for a direct stock replacement. I would like to hear good and bad experiences . Would like also to hear about your experiences with the vendors customer service, delivery etc that you bought from.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Curious as to member experiences with GM crate engines . 1998 5.7 let me start out by saying I am not looking for performance , just dependability and quality for a direct stock replacement. I would like to hear good and bad experiences . Would like also to hear about your experiences with the vendors customer service, delivery etc that you bought from.
Ive never heard a single complaint about the gm crate l31s. Everyone around here seems to think highly of them but idk if anyone has actually used one. I put one in a 91 k3500 in the auto shop in high school and still see it driving around every once in a while.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive never heard a single complaint about the gm crate l31s. Everyone around here seems to think highly of them but idk if anyone has actually used one. I put one in a 91 k3500 in the auto shop in high school and still see it driving around every once in a while.
Thanks for the info, I have visited about every aspect on it and everything has been done and I am thinking about a heart transplant for it now. My thing is I want to do it and not have to revisit it. And I don't really know any good engine builders anymore. From the things I see , crate is the way to go.. Now the question is which one and who.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Call every GM dealer within what you feel to be a reasonable driving distance and ask for a quote. One of them (at least) will beat the online prices you see at Jegs/Summit.

biggbiker

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you do this let us know what all it takes to complete this, I am talking waterpump, exhaust gaskets, intake gaskets etc. My 96 5.7L has around 222,222 miles on it, and it doesnt feel tired but I would like to know replacement cost. And labor if applicable.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
If you do this let us know what all it takes to complete this, I am talking waterpump, exhaust gaskets, intake gaskets etc. My 96 5.7L has around 222,222 miles on it, and it doesnt feel tired but I would like to know replacement cost. And labor if applicable.
Bare minimum in my book would probably be exhaust bolts, oil, filter, coolant, motor mounts (might as well while your in there) and probably some fresh routine maintinance stuff. Doing it yourself with the bare minimum i would budget about $2000-$2500. Labor would probably be about $1000 to $1500.