Gibson Headers and 6.5 Diamond Eye Diesel Exhaust on 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The stock 3" in/3" out cats on my Express van were actually quite restrictive. When I put the Tri-Ys on the Express I swapped out the cats for Thunderbolt 200 cell count metallic core cats and swapped the magnaflow for a bus muffler. ZERO drone from my 350. Almost all of my engine note is intake growl.

What makes you think it was the cats that were the restriction and not the exhaust manifolds?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What makes you think it was the cats that were the restriction and not the exhaust manifolds?
Because I drove it after the headers went on with stock cats and a Magnaflow. Swapped out the cats and it was too loud towing my trailer in 2nd gear uphill at 4,500 rpm. Which is why the bus muffler went on it. Also the Bus muffler cost 10 rwhp @ 5,500 rpm compared to open cutouts right in front of the muffler.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The stock 3" in/3" out cats on my Express van were actually quite restrictive. When I put the Tri-Ys on the Express I swapped out the cats for Thunderbolt 200 cell count metallic core cats and swapped the magnaflow for a bus muffler. ZERO drone from my 350. Almost all of my engine note is intake growl.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

So it had the dual cats, and they were restrictive, or it was a single 3"?

They might be a little more restrictive than a straight pipe, but I really don't think they're a major power robber. At least I really can't say that I felt an appreciable difference when deleting my cats, which I know is an extremely subjective test.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So it had the dual cats, and they were restrictive, or it was a single 3"?

They might be a little more restrictive than a straight pipe, but I really don't think they're a major power robber. At least I really can't say that I felt an appreciable difference when deleting my cats, which I know is an extremely subjective test.

Dual 3" factory cats. Dropping them probably gained 20 hp. I gained 15-20 gms/sec airflow from 4,000+ rpm when I did the swap. Ceramic core cats are horrible for flow and very restrictive.

Fez_Jet_Az

Reaction score
Can you guys link me to the bus muffler you are running?

Was thinking about the Spintech RV muffler as an option