Getting stuff ready for primer and paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You just need too start collecting parts and a savings account just for your truck and take on side jobs so glad I can now enjoy my truck I will say I had lots of thoughts about selling all the parts and just ditching the project all together but I'm glad I finished it.
That’s my plans, i was starting but i got put out of work for a week and now I’m out again. I’m probably gonna buy lift rims/tires then long tubes and save up for a complete exhaust and get a blackbear tune until i save for another motor and put all that on then start on the bodywork and what not. I’ve had many of thoughts of selling mine but i just couldn’t do it. It was down for a couple of months two years ago due to the motor and it was so nice to be back in it. Now I’m just chasing leaks, fixed one then another started.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
The truck's looking mighty fine! Can't wait to see how it looks with the chrome bumpers on it. :headbang:

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
That’s my plans, i was starting but i got put out of work for a week and now I’m out again. I’m probably gonna buy lift rims/tires then long tubes and save up for a complete exhaust and get a blackbear tune until i save for another motor and put all that on then start on the bodywork and what not. I’ve had many of thoughts of selling mine but i just couldn’t do it. It was down for a couple of months two years ago due to the motor and it was so nice to be back in it. Now I’m just chasing leaks, fixed one then another started.
Honestly I'm 29 years old I bought my first gmt400 when I was 14 it was a fully loaded 90 2wd GMC Sierra. I have screwed with headers and chips and so on so forth with these trucks and headers and so called cold air intakes on gas trucks are just a huge waste of money if you're manifolds arnt cracked just do a nice 3" full dual exhaust don't waste your money on headers unless your manifolds are cracked I'm talking from experience you really gain nothing except bragging rights and less money in your savings. My 98 Z71 still Rocks factory manifolds aswell as air intake and if my manifolds were to crack ever I'd replace them with new oem manifolds. I myself have had enough with headers they rust out and it seems like it's always a fight to keep up on exhaust leaks you couldn't give me a set of the most expensive headers in the world for free I'd rather not have the constant exhaust leak rust bullshit problems headers have.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Honestly I'm 29 years old I bought my first gmt400 when I was 14 it was a fully loaded 90 2wd GMC Sierra. I have screwed with headers and chips and so on so forth with these trucks and headers and so called cold air intakes on gas trucks are just a huge waste of money if you're manifolds arnt cracked just do a nice 3" full dual exhaust don't waste your money on headers unless your manifolds are cracked I'm talking from experience you really gain nothing except bragging rights and less money in your savings. My 98 Z71 still Rocks factory manifolds aswell as air intake and if my manifolds were to crack ever I'd replace them with new oem manifolds. I myself have had enough with headers they rust out and it seems like it's always a fight to keep up on exhaust leaks you couldn't give me a set of the most expensive headers in the world for free I'd rather not have the constant exhaust leak rust bullshit problems headers have.
That’s good to know! That definitely is gonna make me consider not getting any. I do need to get my exhaust done though. I think im gonna straight pipe it but leave my mufflers on so it’s not super raspy.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Straight pipe with muffler sounds good, straight pipe with no muffler or cat doesn't imo. There's a guy in my neighborhood that drives past our house like 4 times a day with his Ford that is straight piped, it gets annoying hahaha.

I agree about the "cold" air intakes, they are just a waste of money, our factory intakes already bring in quite enough air for the engine, so there is no point to the cold air intake. If you had to do a cold air intake, get one with the enclosed box. The exposed box is no better than an exposed air cleaner on a carbed engine, they should just be called hot air intakes.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Straight pipe with muffler sounds good, straight pipe with no muffler or cat doesn't imo. There's a guy in my neighborhood that drives past our house like 4 times a day with his Ford that is straight piped, it gets annoying hahaha.

I agree about the "cold" air intakes, they are just a waste of money, our factory intakes already bring in quite enough air for the engine, so there is no point to the cold air intake. If you had to do a cold air intake, get one with the enclosed box. The exposed box is no better than an exposed air cleaner on a carbed engine, they should just be called hot air intakes.
That’s what i wanna do I’ve heard all of these trucks with pure straight pipes with no mufflers and it sounds horrible, i want a loud but deep sound and to give it as much flow as possible so i will be removing the cats but i will keep mufflers. I originally wanted a cold air intake then I started to research them and realized that there was no point in one.

GreenZ98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That’s what i wanna do I’ve heard all of these trucks with pure straight pipes with no mufflers and it sounds horrible, i want a loud but deep sound and to give it as much flow as possible so i will be removing the cats but i will keep mufflers. I originally wanted a cold air intake then I started to research them and realized that there was no point in one.
I did true dual straights from the cats back with 5 inch tips, 18 y/o me loved it now i know just how bad it was. Oddly the 99 I had was also cat back straights but it sounded perfect. Pretty quiet at idle but nice and throaty when you got on the gas but no popping nonsense. Something about the 5.3 I guess.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did true dual straights from the cats back with 5 inch tips, 18 y/o me loved it now i know just how bad it was. Oddly the 99 I had was also cat back straights but it sounded perfect. Pretty quiet at idle but nice and throaty when you got on the gas but no popping nonsense. Something about the 5.3 I guess.
My trucks is cut off at the back of the cab with two original 40 series flowmasters. I used to have glass packs but i got the flows just to change it up and one was free so I figured why not. The glass packs had a super bad drone.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
My trucks is cut off at the back of the cab with two original 40 series flowmasters. I used to have glass packs but i got the flows just to change it up and one was free so I figured why not. The glass packs had a super bad drone.
I've got dual stainless Flowmaster 40s on both trucks, and they sound good without cats. Though, I will be going back to the stock exhaust on my 97, stock muffler and cats, not sure I want it loud anymore lol. I liked how stealthy it sounded when going on level B roads.

My 97 does have a drone with the Flowmasters, for some reason my 98 doesn't.