Gen IV 6.2 2008 L92 with only 7 miles into 95 Diesel 4x4 info and a couple questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ninibong

Reaction score
Hi there.. old school mechanic here. However, this is my first LS swap into an older platform. I have diagrams for the C100, and I understand most of everything I need to do. However, I want to use the 95 4l80e that's in the truck. I know it's a one year trans because of it being the old style but with newer computer control. THe next year, they changed the coolant line locations, but the electronics between the 95 to 99 should be the same if I remember right. (except one solenoid?) Anyway, I found a stand alone controller on ebay for the 4l80e, that makes it manual shift. This should work for a while.. as long as it works for the 95. I guess my main question is, as I can't find good info, is it possible to turn off all signals from the E38 ECU that ask for a trans to be there, so there is no check engine light when I get the L92 running?So, I can just shift manually until I can afford another solution right? Any good tuner should be able to do it? Thanks!

VAMTuning

Reaction score
If it's a 4l80e and you are good with wiring there is a way to make the E38 work with that transmission. You need to find a T42 transmission controller from a 2007 and up truck or SUV that had a 4L60 or 4l80 in it and about a foot of the wiring harness attached to it. If you can get the whole harness, awesome, but half of the wires from the T42 go to the transmission and half go to the E38. It won't be an exact match to the trans but if you take a 1995 transmission pinout and match the function to the wires from the T42 then it should work.

VAMTuning

Reaction score
Sorry, and to answer your question, yes it is possible to turn off everything in the E38 related to the transmission. Whoever unlocks it and removes VATS can do that. PM me if you can't find anyone, I do unlocks with HPtuners.

Ninibong

Reaction score
Sorry, and to answer your question, yes it is possible to turn off everything in the E38 related to the transmission. Whoever unlocks it and removes VATS can do that. PM me if you can't find anyone, I do unlocks with HPtuners.

Thanks, I'll be getting back with you soon.