Gen 1 sbc questions plz help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marcus Valle

Reaction score
I have a sbc from a 70s a body car it’s a good built motor I just want to keep fuel injection on my truck but I was wondering if I am able to use the edelbrock intake that’s on the motor with my stock vortec throttle body

DamHoodlum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The vortec intake/fuel injection manifold wont bolt up to the Gen 1 SBC unless you are using vortec heads

There are plenty other options though...................

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but no. Also, your stock vortec intake won't bolt to the block without modifying the bolt holes on the intake.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My best recommendation is to put Vortec heads on the block. I'd go ahead and drill the coolant bypass passage in both heads.
View media item 32348
My second recommendation is to put a Holley Sniper on the intake and ditch the factory computer, but that's expensive and really only works if your manifold is a square-bore.View media item 32195

Marcus Valle

Reaction score
Probably gonna go with the sniper which ever route I go is gonna be expensive might as well since I have the built gen 1 with a really nice set of heads

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably gonna go with the sniper which ever route I go is gonna be expensive might as well since I have the built gen 1 with a really nice set of heads

More reliable than those aftermaket injection setups and runs just as well. 77-84 Q-Jet can be adjusted to flow a full 850 cfm. I have custom recalibrated this unit and it is going on a healthy 355 Vortec in a G20 van. This is one of the larger venturi carbs with externally adjustable apt screw that easily adjusts the part throttle air/fuel ratio that came of nothing more exotic than an 84 G20 van with a 305. Edelbrock used the same castings to make their 850 cfm performer rpm q-jets. The idle and light throttle circuits have to be opened up a decent amount as does the accelerator pump shot and pull over enrichment systems. I add the primary pull over enrichment system to these as the castings are machined for them just need the tubes added and the passageways final drilled. Primary pullover enrichment allows for a leaner part-throttle setting but still gets you plenty of fuel above 1/2 throttle on the primaries. I rebrush the throttle shafts and even zinc plate/gold iridate dye some of the ones I build. Properly setup they run like EFI and make great power. Dial them in right and they seamlessly perform at any throttle position. Since this one is going on an A-team van clone that will see street/strip duty and not be driven during winter weather I built it chokeless to get a few more CFM. Probably up about 875 cfm without the choke. Still has the choke thermostat and fast idle cam functional for easy starts and smooth warmups without having to monkey with the throttle to keep it running cold. With the air cleaner on it, looks like any other smog era Q-Jet.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The engine build in that 84 G20 is pretty mild but capable of more than 400 hp. Looks pretty much stock externally save for the GMPP vortec intake and larger 2 1/4" exit log manifolds with a P30 van EGR tube. Even used valve cover adapters to use the OEM van perimeter bolt valve covers. The 350 vortec block used had a fuel pump hole machined so it has a mechancial pump. Just a 350 vortec block, 0.030" over with flat top pistons, 0.016" steel shim head gaskets, slightly cleaned up 906s with a little bowl work, exhaust ports ported, the valves deshrouded and 1.60 exhaust valves, comp 787 retainers, pac 1218 springs and 0.050" offset locks. Screw in-studs and guide plates as well as hardened pushrods and narrow body non self aligning 1.6 rockers. Cam is a Melling 22280 with 220/224 @ 0.050 duration on a 110 lsa (lift is 0.528/0.535 with the 1.6 rockers). Compression is 10.4:1 and the HEI has been recalibrated with a conservative spark advance curve and the ESC knock sensor system from the 305 retained. With a 700r4 and 4.10 rear geat it will have some nice get up and go and still cruise nicely with the a/c blasting. Should see around 18 mpg at 70 mph with the cruise set. Added a MSD 6 box and a timing control knob that allows timing adjustment on the fly. Set the base timing with the knob in the middle of its travel and you can advance or retard the timing on the fly with the twist of the knob. It is setup to run on 91 octane with the knob in the neutral position, can get away running 87 with the knob fully retarded 7.5° and run it at the track on C16 with the knob advanced 6°. Van had a fuel switching valve from a C10 and a smaller fuel cell that holds race gas under the back in addition to the standard tank. Drive it to the track on pump gas, couple of miles before you get there, switch to race gas and ready to run when you get to the staging lanes bump the timing.

Last edited: