Gear oil changed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xxl2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I flushed out my rear axle let it dry good before putting things back together. The oil was black enough kind of had that used smell so i am sure it will be happier. It now has JT7 syn. I used a fle pro gasket to seal it. A few things i noticed. First i didnt have a magnet in the cover to clean. Second there are two holes that are in line with the axle shafts. What do these do? I know i didnt clog them becuase i used a gasket and they are cut out Just wanting to learn more. Happy to say no drips from the rear and took the truck around the block Its a 10 bolt rear also 3.42 open diff

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The holes are for 'stretching' the casing when fitting the diff in. See pic below.

You must be registered for see images attach

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How many thousandths can one spread that housing, using that tool?
I've no idea. And given that it is safe to jack the whole back end of the truck up under the pumpkin - who knows?
I'm just hoping my axle has the pre-load adjuster if I have to remove the cage from the casing.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many thousandths can one spread that housing, using that tool?
Wrong question.

Question should be "How many thousandths SHOULD one spread that housing, using that tool."

I have every expectation that you "can" spread the housing so far that it permanently distorts, or cracks.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wrong question.

Question should be "How many thousandths SHOULD one spread that housing, using that tool."

I have every expectation that you "can" spread the housing so far that it permanently distorts, or cracks.

Agreed, with the added question of “Can that tool sufficiently spread the rear?” It’s not too formidable a tool as-built, by appearances IMHO, but perhaps it’s sufficient.