Gas Gauge Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
HELP!!! Gas gauge issues:

1988; K2500. 34 gallon tank. Gas gauge was always reading above full when the truck was on, and 3/4 when truck was off. I replaced fuel sending unit, when truck was on it would read at exactly or barely under full, when truck was off it read at 3/4. I tested to see if the ground was bad by taking a wire from the negative battery post and connecting it directly to the ground lead. Nothing changed. I dissconnected pigtail to new sending unit, gas gauge read above full so it's working. I disassembled dashboard, physically turned gas gauge to empty. While the truck was off it went up by itself to about 1/8th. When the truck was turned back on it slowly crept back up to just under full. I'm so confused, I know there is less than half a tank of gas left.. any ideas?

Dubs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ohm out the sending unit and make sure it's the right one. If it is you might have to run a wide straight to the gauge bypassing ecu.