G.I. Jane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Papa Neil

Reaction score
I found the plainest 1988 GMC on the planet. It has a 4:3 V6 a long box (for now... I might go to a flatbed after the safety). I did a bit of labor for the purchase of the truck. It is filthy. The box is a throwaway. Cab corners or gone. Rocker panels are gone. Front fenders are done as well.

The great thing about this truck is that parts are ubiquitous and cheap cheap cheap. It should be a fairly inexpensive truck to run.

The goal is to create something that looks like a CUCV. It will be easy to maintain, and unbreakable(ish).
You must be registered for see images attach

Papa Neil

Reaction score
I love this. I will add tow hooks and Bush Bar for sure. I am going to use 5 bolt 16 instead of the 15s... I will be able to put transport tires on it which will make it look more like a CUCV and make tires cheap and readily available.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a 91 c2500 that was an ex Lincoln City OR school district truck. It was like yours with the 4.3/700r4, sclb, white with tan interior. What was cool though was that it was a 3.42 14 bolt rear end. Being a 2500 it was a 6 lug. You could find that 2wd rear (4wd is wider) and c2500 rotors and calipers for better brakes and a 6 lug swap.

Papa Neil

Reaction score
All the panels getting prepped and straight. The truck is disassembled and old glass is removed.

New rocker panels.

Cab Corners in... looking straight. Old school. No panel bond.

Window removal and blast prime are essential. All these trucks have this issue... it is not all the way through so it is just clean up.

Nice fit... everything is looking lined up.

The truck sat for over a decade. The gas tank is rotten and will be replaced.

Papa Neil

Reaction score
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_Army

Operation Quick Silver in WW2 was a tactical deception operation that got help from designer Bill Blass. Here are some of the patches... cool stuff.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My first gmt 400 was a 93 wt, lbsc with a 4.3 they are grate trucks, and give decent mpgs.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine has a similar background . W/T with the beige interior. I suspect it might have been a govt vehicle in a former life. Looks like you have the aftermarket radio bezel already installed so will be a simple matter to get a single DIN radio and get some noise in there. Good luck and thanks for saving another one.

Treble

Reaction score
Did the original owner use the same material that covers the floor, to cover the vents?