Fuel Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aidan Kesler

Reaction score
So I got a 95 Chevrolet, stock tbi motor with the mpfi system. Most have seen my posts lol sorry for being annoying.

anyways my question is fuel octane ratings, what’s the highest I can run or the recommended amount to run safely. Also what about e85?(just wondering lol)

I have also just got my buddies weekend race rod going and smelled the sweet smell of race gas. Is there anyway I could replicate this smell with a fuel additive or an octane booster or different fuel safely in my ole truck on the daily?

I Know it sounds dumb hahaha maybe I am dumb, but come on. Everyone loves the smell of race gas.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just use regular, the extra octane is not necessary in a stock engine. You don't have to worry about that until you reach higher compression ratios. DO NOT put e85 in a vehicle not designed to use e85 as fuel. It'll run like crap, but more importantly you'll dissolve seals.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
anyways my question is fuel octane ratings, what’s the highest I can run or the recommended amount to run safely.

You can run any octane pump gas safely. You'll just be wasting money buying anything higher than 87 unless your PCM is tuned for it. There will be literally no positive difference.

Also what about e85?(just wondering lol)

Nope.

As for your last question, if you want it to stink just cut the cats out.

Last edited:

Aidan Kesler

Reaction score
You can run any octane pump gas safely. You'll just be wasting money buying anything higher than 87 unless your PCM is tuned for it. There will be literally no positive difference.

Nope.

As for your last question, if you want it to stink just cut the cats out.
I already have a true dual no cats flowmaster setup, I'm just tired of smelling the smell of stinky pump gas out the exhaust. I'd just rather have that sweet smell of race gas coming out.

Aidan Kesler

Reaction score
Just use regular, the extra octane is not necessary in a stock engine. You don't have to worry about that until you reach higher compression ratios. DO NOT put e85 in a vehicle not designed to use e85 as fuel. It'll run like crap, but more importantly you'll dissolve seals.

Not really looking for performance, just if I could change the smell possibly to race gas smell in any way. If I could benefit from a higher octane with a tune then I'd go for it but not my main concern.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want to smell race gas, go for it, but there's no benefit to it. You shouldn't be smelling gas in your exhaust, that's a sign of running rich.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I apologize in advanced if this is the wrong place to post this.question. long story short just keeping an eye on my fuel pressure and wanted to know if this is normal for a mpfi. Says 56/57 psi for one second til it clicks then drops down to 50psi and holds there. Is this normal?

You must be registered for see images attach

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Race gas is leaded, they took the lead out of pump gas for health reasons, Lead poisoning causes central nervous system damage and impairs neurological development in children.

You’d also need to retune your engine to burn it properly (lead will destroy cats lickety split). I tried leaded avgas in small engines (like mowers) and found they started much harder and fouled plugs. alcohol free gas is available in many areas (an hour away for me) and usually costs about 10% more than e10.

Personally I’d pass on the smell...