Fuel Pump Not Priming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The ground (G404) is somewhere on the back left frame rail, best get a visual on it. Maybe it’ll be something easy and obvious.
You must be registered for see images attach

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The ground (G404) is somewhere on the back left frame rail, best get a visual on it. Maybe it’ll be something easy and obvious.

The only ground I saw for the loom running down the driver frame rail was way out back by the trailer/tail light wiring. Is that it? Or is there something I missed? Whoever did this trailer wiring made it a rat's nest of splice locks but that's been there since before I've owned it, and nothing looks overly corroded.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure, the only diagram I could find in the manual (1998) that shows G404 is this one. You might be able to follow the harness from the top of the tank and spot it.

And, yeah, I’d bet that most of us have a mess of wiring for the trailer connection over the years.

Pro439

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you should have a ground at the fuel sending unit and battery voltage on 2 wires 1 all the time for the fuel gauge and the other for the fuel pump when you 1st turn the key on and when you turn it back off. Normally the ground is by the connector going to the frame. Sitting the pump could have rusted stuck it’s a **** setup as they use the fuel to cool the fuel pump

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Turns out the pump itself was bad. I finished replacing it today and it runs as it should. The truck itself still won't start but that gas is 6 months old now. I can hear it firing here and there but not enough to actually run so I'm going to try it with starter fluid and see what happens.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fresh gas and starter fluid didn't do the trick. I figured I might as well knock out another "maybe" and replace the battery, it was 2 years old and had been sitting dead for months. Luckily it was still under warranty and only ended up costing me $12.

Still no start though. Maybe I flooded it trying to start it so much on a low battery. When I first tried starting it after the new pump in there was a strong "bad gas" smell around the outside of the truck and occasional popping/firing. Now it's nothing.

Does cranking it with the pedal on the floor work for these trucks? I know for some cars it cuts the fuel so you can clear a flood.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bad gas is bad gas. Drain it. Don't try to use it. Nothing good will come from trying to work around it. Drain it. If you're lucky the residue won't sludge up your fresh gas. Ask me how I know.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bad gas is bad gas. Drain it. Don't try to use it. Nothing good will come from trying to work around it. Drain it. If you're lucky the residue won't sludge up your fresh gas. Ask me how I know.

I did, I wish I would have just done it when the tank was out but oh well. Got every gas can and empty jug I could find and got it all out, removed the fuel filter and let the lines clear out as best I could and then put in a new filter and fresh gas.

Still didn't start though, even after clearing it with the pedal down. It was pouring rain all day so I didn't get a chance to do much else but I'll have to retrace my steps of all the work I've done just to make sure I didn't leave something unplugged.