Fuel Pump Not Priming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fresh gas and starter fluid didn't do the trick. I figured I might as well knock out another "maybe" and replace the battery, it was 2 years old and had been sitting dead for months. Luckily it was still under warranty and only ended up costing me $12.

Still no start though. Maybe I flooded it trying to start it so much on a low battery. When I first tried starting it after the new pump in there was a strong "bad gas" smell around the outside of the truck and occasional popping/firing. Now it's nothing.

Does cranking it with the pedal on the floor work for these trucks? I know for some cars it cuts the fuel so you can clear a flood.
Kinda odd that it wouldn't fire up even briefly with starter fluid.
I've been with the stale gasoline thing and after the first attempt of a decent amount of cranking without even offering (now the weather here has turned cold) a squirt of lighter gas (butane) into the throttle body and it fired right up and kept running next turn of the key.
My fuel BTW was almost three years old.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I noticed something odd just now, I went out this morning and noticed the pcv hose had popped off I didn't think much of it, maybe I did that on accident while messing with it yesterday so I plugged it back in and went to try it again. I sprayed a little bit of starter fluid in the throttle body, put the intake back on and went to start it. I heard a loud POP like I have a few times before and when I looked at the engine I saw the hose going into the pcv hose had popped out again. I shook the pcv and it rattled but I repalced it anyway since it's been so long since my last one, but still no start.

You must be registered for see images attach

Am I doing something wrong? I've never used starter fluid on a fuel injected engine before. I thought I was supposed to just open the butterfly and give it a squirt.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I noticed something odd just now, I went out this morning and noticed the pcv hose had popped off I didn't think much of it, maybe I did that on accident while messing with it yesterday so I plugged it back in and went to try it again. I sprayed a little bit of starter fluid in the throttle body, put the intake back on and went to start it. I heard a loud POP like I have a few times before and when I looked at the engine I saw the hose going into the pcv hose had popped out again. I shook the pcv and it rattled but I repalced it anyway since it's been so long since my last one, but still no start.

You must be registered for see images attach
Assuming that is on the driver's side, it is the PCV pipe flowing from the crankcase to the maniflod via a check valve (you heard rattling). The pops you are hearing will be inlet backfires (probably caused by mixture still burning in a cylinder when its inlet valve opens next time around igniting the starter fluid in the manifold) and they can dislodge PCV pipes. It shouldn't on the drivers side as the check valve is there to arrest backfires but possibly the backfire entering from the passenger side is pressurising the crankcase enough to dislodge the drivers side one.
Am I doing something wrong? I've never used starter fluid on a fuel injected engine before. I thought I was supposed to just open the butterfly and give it a squirt.
I've never used starter fluid (ether IIRC - to aid diesels) but when I used lighter gas (butane) I squirted it down into the throttle body for about 3 seconds. I didn't bother opening the throttle.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a reason starter fluid is also known as "head bolt stretcher". Just a squirt should do. If your gas motor isn't starting on starting fluid, check your ignition.