Fuel problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbaer

Reaction score
What's up guys and ladies, new here, got an 89 2500 5.7 tbi. Replaced the fuel pump and filter and icm but still no fuel is coming out of injectors. Going to try the relay but I can hear the pump kick on and the pump fuse is good also... really unsure, please help? Thanks

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replaced the fuel pump and filter and icm but still no fuel is coming out of injectors.
Is your pickup coil good inside the distributor? Inspect for cracks and bad wires there and from the ICM to it and the ECM.

Jbaer

Reaction score
The distributor is a new one, I am not sure why the injectors won't spray anything at all.

Jbaer

Reaction score
Is your pickup coil good inside the distributor? Inspect for cracks and bad wires there and from the ICM to it and the ECM.
I put a new one in today and nothing still. Swapped the ecm from another one I picked up from the junkyard and nothing. Not sure what or where to look next...

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New parts don't necessarily mean good parts. You can check if your injectors are getting pulses with a Noid light.

If the ECM isn't seeing Distributor Reference Pulses from the ICM, it won't fire the injectors.

Check to see what pressure you're actually getting, maybe the hose between the fuel pump and the sending unit split or came loose.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. What is the fuel pressure when priming, and when cranking?

2. Verify all fuses including those for the ECM and injectors. And as said, a 'noid light will verify that the injectors have both power, and intermittent ground to allow them to spray. If the noid lite doesn't flash...

3. Connect a scan tool, find out if the computer knows the RPM when cranking. No RPM, no injector pulses, no fuel spray. Verify the TPS. If the TPS is sending a WFO signal to the computer, the computer will disable the injector spray in "Clear Flood" mode.