Fuel pressure regulator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kwslvdo96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had this same issue back in the middle of summer, I started with AC delco fuel pump that didn't fix it, then I did AC delco temp sensor that didn't work, then I did the AC delco new spider injectors that didn't fix it either! Its had new plugs and wires and fuel filter all AC delco and I still have this random hard start. Mine doesn't sound as bad as what yours is doing but it still happens mine seems to happen more often once the engine is warm. Im starting to think possible bad distributor? That will probably be my next replacement. Keep us updated on what ends up fixing your problem.

ztarleton

Reaction score
I had this same issue back in the middle of summer, I started with AC delco fuel pump that didn't fix it, then I did AC delco temp sensor that didn't work, then I did the AC delco new spider injectors that didn't fix it either! Its had new plugs and wires and fuel filter all AC delco and I still have this random hard start. Mine doesn't sound as bad as what yours is doing but it still happens mine seems to happen more often once the engine is warm. Im starting to think possible bad distributor? That will probably be my next replacement. Keep us updated on what ends up fixing your problem.
Will let you know- I'm almost mobile enough to get started on this. I will say that my issue seems a little opposite of yours- once it's warm it tends to act better at least, issues come up with sitting for "short" (within a week) periods of time

ztarleton

Reaction score
Well after installing a Delco spider injector (MPFI) and still having some of a stumble when sitting. Scratched my head enough and took it to a shop to diagnose (local Chevy dealer). They called back saying that it's not making enough pressure and want to start with fuel pump (which is a new Delphi from last summer- did tank, pump, fuel lines, filter, and now the injectors). It was just a message they left, will be calling them tomorrow to get more in depth, but is there any other direction it could even possibly be? Being a dealer they want an arm and a leg to do the pump, but I sure as hell don't want to do that myself again either..... going crazy here!

TexasT

Reaction score
Have you pulled the distributor cap and wiggled the rotor to see about the shaft play. Our 99 had enough to hit the cap and I ended up replacing the distributor. Apparently it has a plastic bushing that wears and let's this happen.
New one was about $100 but this was several yrs ago. I think I got it off rock auto.

Last edited:

ztarleton

Reaction score
So appears that there was some corrosion/"carbon trails" in the distributor- new cap and rotor has her firing up in proper time! Next fun issue that's shown up is where she would stumble a little at first still presents itself- to the point I actually had to feather the gas pedal to even get her to start, and subsequently running pretty rough for a few seconds before smoothing out. Almost seems like water in the fuel? will be giving her a good fuel treatment and see what happens....