Fuel pressure regulator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ztarleton

Reaction score
So started back near beginning of summer- truck would sit for a while and not start until a full 30-45 seconds into cranking. Was pulling brakes apart at the time so I figured might as well- ended up doing fuel tank, pump, the fuel lines that follow the frame rail, and then fuel pressure reg and gaskets.

Turned the key a few times to let it prime, started right up. Magic.

Just a couple weeks ago it go the chance to sit for a full week. Same issue :(
Now when she finally starts she seems to choke up some smoke, and definitely has a different odor to it (almost flooded)

Would the guess be that I have a small leak somewhere in what I did allowing it to lose pressure, or a failing (crappy?) fuel pressure regulator?

Or if someone can direct me to the next step of diagnosing.... anything and everything is appreciated!

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Vortec I assume since your in the vortec section?

Have you replaced the spider injection setup yet along with the intake manifold gaskets?

ztarleton

Reaction score
Vortec I assume since your in the vortec section?

Have you replaced the spider injection setup yet along with the intake manifold gaskets?
Yes Vortec
The gaskets for the upper yes, the injection unit no.
A likely candidate to where my 'leak' is?

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What year and engine? You may not have the spider injector.

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not likely the FPR went bad that quick but not impossible. If it's the original spider, probably a sticking poppet or two. New style spiders available on Rock Auto pretty reasonable and probably a good investment if you intend to keep the truck awhile. Should be a discount code for Rock Auto on the forum.

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
did you check your fuel pressure after priming the system to see if it leaks down (key on, key off, watch he gage)? i just swapped the spider on mine, it was a leaky mess..

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Best place I found to get the MPFI upgrade unit with gaskets and bracket was from amazon, way cheaper than other options. This is what I paid back in Feb.
You must be registered for see images attach

GreenZ98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not to thread jack but any resolution to this. Mine is having cranking issues and after checking pressure with a better gauge(mines junk apparently)it spikes to 60 when you initially turn the key then immediately drops to 56 and slowly goes down.Its also showing 50-52 when actually cranking and while running. Delco Fuel pump,filter and delco mpfi injectors were installed in june 2017.

ztarleton

Reaction score
Not to thread jack but any resolution to this. Mine is having cranking issues and after checking pressure with a better gauge(mines junk apparently)it spikes to 60 when you initially turn the key then immediately drops to 56 and slowly goes down.Its also showing 50-52 when actually cranking and while running. Delco Fuel pump,filter and delco mpfi injectors were installed in june 2017.
No specific resolution yet- I've ordered one of the new units, just working on getting around to it as I'm inconveniently on crutches at the moment. My issue did go from showing up at that ~week timeframe to just a couple days now