Fuel millage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

R&D. Maybe it was a planned stock part to go with what became the L30 305 head or maybe it is just an OTC part GM thought would make some money, like the LT1 carb intake manifold they sell, doesnt matter it was not on any stock vehicles in the US.

Was on some 96 G30 vans. 100% without a doubt. I worked on them back in the early 2000s. They were just high mileage delivery vans at that point. They had their own dedicated fuel system as well. The 30 psi one. The Mexico built L31s had the EGR block offs from the factory.[/QUOTE]
Again the 96 G30 van in the US was a 350 TBI 180hp engine with 76cc heads.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Was on some 96 G30 vans. 100% without a doubt. I worked on them back in the early 2000s. They were just high mileage delivery vans at that point. They had their own dedicated fuel system as well. The 30 psi one. The Mexico built L31s had the EGR block offs from the factory.
Again the 96 G30 van in the US was a 350 TBI 180hp engine with 76cc heads.[/QUOTE]
I know what I worked on and have done intake gaskets and the like on. Maybe some 96 vans used TBI long blocks but some of them were factory with Vortec long blocks.

Also once again NO TBI head casting has 76cc chambers!!

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You've been claiming this vortec-TBI unicorn exists for years on the 3rd gen, FSC and other boards yet no one has seen them but you Fast305. Believe what ya want.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You've been claiming this vortec-TBI unicorn exists for years on the 3rd gen, FSC and other boards yet no one has seen them but you Fast305. Believe what ya want.

I guess next thing you are going to tell me is the intake manifold I have off a late 80s 1-ton cutaway TBI school bus does not exist too. Cast-iron, NO EGR (Cast shut) and 2" bores. It was a GM US build as well. It was leaded fuel option without an 02 sensor, had factory tubular exhaust manifolds, dual exhaust, and without cats but had a big truck governed TBI on it.

Last edited:

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is the only 6.0 that I've ever heard of that gets good mpg. Hard to believe. My bro in law had a similar year Escalade, it never got better than 12 mpg. He didn't have any trailers to tow.
I was very pleasantly surprised. I got to drive this thing for a little over a month before I claimed it as mine, so I drove it every which way I could think of to test mpg. Shockingly enough, the average mpg figured by the computer is consistently about a half a mpg lower that what the hard math is telling me. Its missing a chunk of the bumper cover so I removed the rest of it. I dropped a consistent 3 mpg over 3 tanks of gas, so I put it back on. I'm expecting to go up at least 1 when I get the new cover on it, which will bring my easy driving up to a consistent 20mpg, and hopefully towing my trailer up to an even 14.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finally found the factory GM powertrain chart showing the power of a TBI Vortec. This was from 1996 for the 1996 model year. Some 97s had the same engine choices too. Keep in mind some of the heavier cut-away vans and RV chassis were OBD1 TBI in 97 even. Think G30 van style front end with a fold forward hood like a school bus or a UPS truck has. Basically a P30 chassis with a G30 Van cab on it. Most of these seemed to have the AT542 4 speed Allison with a drum parking brake and throttle governed 2-ton truck style 2" bore TBI on them too. As I said on thirdgen years ago too, they use the 30 psi regulator and the injectors flow 72 lb/hr. Years ago I worked at a shop and we had a customer that had 10-15 of these vans. Definately a factory option as I personally changed the intake gaskets on a few of them. Same ****** design as the CSFI Vortecs. I think most of the power loss was from GM using the old 70s style pellet box cat on them. Notice the 4.3 was rated closer to the CSFI rating and the 5.7 dropped signifigantly. The cat restricted the power on the 350. The 4.3 and 350 shared the same y-pipe and cat. The correct van manifolds bolt a 4.3 or 350 to the same exhaust.

The pictured had a rollback wrecker bed on it amd a power take-off driven hydraulic pump on the Allison. The allison has a massive and heavy cast-iron adapter to go from the chevy pattern to the allisons SAE pattern. This one was a 95 so it had a regular 180 hp 350 TBI in it.

FWIW the 4.3 TBI in those applications had Vortec heads and a governed TBI as well.

Governed TBI for documentation purposes. The injector pod will bolt right onto the light duty trucks. The Brazilian 250 TBI on Alcohol used a single 125 lb/hr injector. Those injectors fit this pod. At stock pressure deliver enough fuel to feed a 500 hp engine.

Last edited:

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
I have a memcal from one of those. BNKN broadcast code.

Attachments

• BNKN Nordstroms 3500 Vandura 1996.zip
    33.5 KB · Views: 2

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a memcal from one of those. BNKN broadcast code.
Assuming that is $0E like the BNKM I have from a non governed 1-ton/4L80E except that one is setup for the governor needed for the Allison. I see a bracket behind the TBI on the manifold that mounts the mechanical throttle valve cable for an AT542 is why I ask.

Last edited: