Fuel Gauge Pinned when Full, bouncing otherwise - Newbie (be kind)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

realsandman

Reaction score
Hey guys, newbie here, just got into a 1995 2500 Silverado which I LOVE and I'm starting to work on issues. It runs like a champ, but I have an unreliable fuel gauge and no AC. I read all the AC threads I could find and that's on my list, but working on Fuel gauge first. I read some of the threads on here related to bouncing fuel gauges and I am wondering if anyone knows if it's possible and where to find a NEW Fuel gauge or replacement instrument cluster. Is anyone making a new replacement or is the used option the only option? I feel like if the fuel level sensor was dead, nothing would register on the gauge at all, but I'm not sure. My shop thinks is the gauge or cluster, but they can't seem to find one.

Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to connecting with this group as I dive further into my project. :)

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. It's the air core stepper motor that needs to be fixed or replaced. Problem is, they are not inter changeable. There are videos on YouTube that show how to fix them. I repaired mine with some RC diff oil. Just YouTube repairing c1500 gas gauge motor, or something like that.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
The gauges in the dash are just suggestions! They don't seem to be calibrated properly.

Before you buy anything clean the connections and grounds. if the wire/connection to ground the gauge will read high.

Your fuel level gauge is supposed to read empty at 0 ohms to ground and full 90 ohms to ground. so in basic terms, the gauge compares the ground provided by the sensor to the actual ground to read properly.

The connections between the gauge cluster and the dash often have poor connections.
clean them with contact cleaner on a cotton swab. They are somewhat fragile so be gentle. you may also pull out the connectors on the dash side A LITTLE. Pull too hard and you can damage them.

Usually it it the connection from the sending unit to ground and the connection from that point to the cab that causes the trouble.

You will hear in this forum about the "Big Three" Do that after fixing all the bad/missing/corroded grounds.

If you open the hood and you can't find the engine you have a couple too many grounds!

Welcome to the Forum!

P.S. You will get used to my long-winded double spaced posts! :biggrin: :cool:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
You can buy the air-core motor on ebay, last I knew. Some people call them stepper motors, but they aren't really.